Commander Series C35 Fan control issue

Fatherraven

I just bought the Commander series C35 case and love the over all design. BUT a HUGE complaint. they supply a 2 200 mm fans for the front with a proprietary 5 pin connector. There is no fan speed control of any kind. I use 140mm and 120mm Pure Plus fans carried over form my last case. and use the included 9 pin controller. Is there a solution from thermaltake? I have yet top find one. From the looks of other forum posts i am not alone. The other posts have gone unanswered from Thermaltake themselves.  I bought the case for the design and value of it. Kinda disconcerting that Thermaltake has taken a deaf ear to its consumers. Some forum posts have gone unanswered for 3 weeks or more 

thermal1.JPG

I can"t believe on this forum the "LACK" of support with this company on issues. Don't they care? I posted an issue on a new build with an issue where the front fans don't work at all with a C36 case. The cable is plugged into the side RGB board along with the 3 pin on the board. Still nothing. Bios shows only processor fan and i can control it. Rear fan is plugged into MB and works properly. Is there a problem with with the side mount RGB board?. Checked and checked. Sad case where i have to starts measuring pin voltages. When i switched connector from the black to the white on the side board, the fan lights do indeed light up. Tells me the LED lights work and still no fans.. I understand its for a form of strip lighting add on or so.

• 3 weeks later...

The 6 pin connectors at the Thermaltake controller are GND, DI,DO,5v, nothing, 12v from top to bottom.  Now, I am assuming that DI is "digital in" and DO is "digital out".  If so, then you SHOULD be able to use 12v and DI lines if the DI line is the "tach" signal to control your fans.  You have to look up the pin out for the ATX fan connectors to try this.  I don't think you would need GND connector as it appears to ground both the LEDs and the fan, so as long as you leave that as is the fan should have GND.  I've been meaning to try this for sometime, but have not gotten around to it.  You can buy the 6 pin connectors that fit the Thermaltake controller from Amazon ("10 Sets JST PH 2.0MM 6 Pin Female Single Connector with Flat Wires 100MM 1007 26AWG") and then you would need some 4 pin ATX fan connectors which you can buy other places (ebay). 

Now, I'm making SEVERAL assumptions here.  First, DO is the LED signal line, that is what controls the LEDs.  Second, DI is the "tach" signal from the fan.  Either or both of these could be wrong.  Like I said, I've been meaning to try this, but it's WAY down on my list.  Hope this guessing may help someone.  I figure you can send the 12V and DI wires to a fan connector and plug that into your MB fan controller making sure you are connected to the correct pins.  This SHOULD make the fan visible to the MB, but again, a bunch of assumptions.

If I EVER get around to actually trying this, I'll post back, but don't hold your breath.  My MB does not support ARGB, so I'm in even worse shape.  I can't even try Asus AURA unless I buy the Asus ROG terminal, so all I'll get from this is (maybe) fan speed control.

• 2 months later...

I finally tried this.  Basically, I cut the wires for the FAN 12V and DO (not DI as above) near the TT controller and connected them to my MB Fan connector.  The fan runs, but full tilt.  Also, the ASUS software does not show any RPMs.  My assumption then is that the fans that come with this case do not send a "tach" signal to the MB, so the MB cannot attempt to control the speed.  Too bad.  It appears the only fix is to buy two expensive 200MM RGB fans and replace the ones that are there, something I'm not inclined to do.

• 1 month later...

The fans supplied with the case, as it turns out, are single speed.  You cannot control the speed.  I finally replaced the fans with upHere P200RGB fans from Amazon.  These were cheap, so I was a bit aprehensive, but they do work AND they are PWM fans.  The LEDs are in the outer rim.  There are some issues with fitment as the case screws are too long for these fans.  I ended up using spacers between the head of the screws and the fans.  The label side must go toward the MB.  These have separate leads for the FAN and the LEDs.  You will need to either get new connectors for the TT LED controller, or cut the wires and use the existing connectors.  Plug the 4 pin connector into your MB's fan connector.  The other 3 lead connector goes to the TT controller.  You MUST connect DI and DO together as apparently the supplied fans are somehow daisy chained.  Connect the DI/DO combination to the DI wire for the fan, the 5v line to the 5v connector and the GND to GND.  Look closely at the 3 wire cable from the upHere fan.  The one with the white dashes is 5v.  Next one is DI and last one is GND.  After this hassle, the ASUS AI Suite 3 software can control the fans.  Now they are very quiet.