Level 20 MT ARGB Case fans WON'T sync

Atsf1317

Hi,

I recently built a new computer (Parts as followed)

Case: Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB

PSU: Thermaltake 750w gold RGB Sync edition

M/Board: Asus Strix X570-e gaming

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x

AIO: Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 ARGB sync

GPU: Asus Strix 2070 super

RAM: 16gb G.Skill Trident Z 3600hz

Samsun 970evo M.2

I put it all together and it all works well.... ALL fans light up. HOWEVER, I can not get the case fans to sync with the M/board. As soon as I hold down the RGB button on the case, only 1 fan lights up. Even the AIO RGB doesn't light up. I have no control of it in the Aura software either. As soon as I switch it back from the M/Board, all the lights come back on. I tried downloading the software from Thermaltake and it keeps coming up with an error saying there is no controller. 

The case comes with a controller (I think it's a controller) on it where all the fans plug into it and it plugs into the motherboard. The fans spin.

I have tried both headers on the M/Board and still no difference.

I've gone back and forth through the manuals and still can't work it out.

SEE VIDEO BELOW

PLEASE HELP

20200113_135813.jpg

Hi,

People here with this issue :

Morpheus 258 : Commander C36 + Tuf X570

DoomsSsday : View37 + Strix-E X570

maherrich : Commander C36 + Strix-F X570

GregAMD : View 37 + Prime TRX40

Roundgraph Level 20 MT + Strix-E X570

Juraz76 : Commander C34 + Strix-E X570

Saamushain ? + Tuf X570 plus wifi

Jujunet : Level 20 MT + Strix-E X570

Atsf1317 : Level 20 MT + Strix-E X570

TT james answered that TT tested the controller card with Asus X570 Series and works perfectly. Looking for issue. No news anymore.

Can someone in this forum who own one of these cases, with an Asus X570 or TRX40 post here. To know if they are numerous or not.

It's not a coincidence or a defect. There is a real compatibility problem. The least we could do is send to these users a compatible card before they run out of warranty, or suggest a solution (quickly). These chassis are supposed to support Aura.

Best Regards,

Julien

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 10:30 PM, SaamusHain said:

check and make sure you have the newest version of asus aura.  also, go into program filesx86 and physically remove lightingservice....its part of the aura programming and may be conflicting...once thats gone you should be able to install a new version of aura.  that should fix it....ive had rgb issues with aura since day one.  and that seems to be the only fix to make the lighting work properly

On 2/6/2020 at 4:10 PM, Chris McGill said:

check and make sure you have the newest version of asus aura.  also, go into program filesx86 and physically remove lightingservice....its part of the aura programming and may be conflicting...once thats gone you should be able to install a new version of aura.  that should fix it....ive had rgb issues with aura since day one.  and that seems to be the only fix to make the lighting work properly

Did you get this chassis or same controller card of other chassis to work with Asus X570 ? I tried many Asus Aura versions, with disabling lighting service (not physically removed) to get Aura working without all errors messages (stop working). No luck. I am now with Armoury Crate and no chance. This case won't work with Asus X570. It would be interesting if only one person who get it work can post here to see if it's possible !

6 hours ago, jujunet said:

Did you get this chassis or same controller card of other chassis to work with Asus X570 ? I tried many Asus Aura versions, with disabling lighting service (not physically removed) to get Aura working without all errors messages (stop working). No luck. I am now with Armoury Crate and no chance. This case won't work with Asus X570. It would be interesting if only one person who get it work can post here to see if it's possible !

no, I'm pretty sure the controller that tt sends with these cases is faulty in design. I replaced the fans with noctua pwm fans and put a 42 led  argb strip in the case. everything works, proving that my mobo and the armory crate work flawlessly, and that I'm not a complete dunce. the issue is downstream of the 5v argb header, and upstream of the fans, which means it must be the controller....... right?

also, I put the fans on the back of the mounts, and noticed a huge increase in airflow. the stock location is too close to the glass for them to draw any air into the blades. 

22 hours ago, CplPunishr said:

no, I'm pretty sure the controller that tt sends with these cases is faulty in design. I replaced the fans with noctua pwm fans and put a 42 led  argb strip in the case. everything works, proving that my mobo and the armory crate work flawlessly, and that I'm not a complete dunce. the issue is downstream of the 5v argb header, and upstream of the fans, which means it must be the controller....... right?

also, I put the fans on the back of the mounts, and noticed a huge increase in airflow. the stock location is too close to the glass for them to draw any air into the blades. 

I think so, controller isn't compatible with Aura, but ONLY with X570 MB. I Don't think there is any people with a working card...

It is weird issue. Just now I pushed to the RGB button and No led. Re pushed to return to chassis control. Then i saw he connector was unplugged. I plugged it with computer ON (hotplug), and re push RGB button : It worked ! I was in Armoury Crate with Rainbow effet and it was just wonderful effect, waw ! Without touch anything, I rebooted, the effect was still there. I shut down and restarted, effect gone... One led on first fan. When I built my rig since 4 month I saw it working two or three times. Each time I hotplugged RGB cable or SATA power cable.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:03 AM, jujunet said:

Hi,

People here with this issue :

Morpheus 258 : Commander C36 + Tuf X570

DoomsSsday : View37 + Strix-E X570

maherrich : Commander C36 + Strix-F X570

GregAMD : View 37 + Prime TRX40

Roundgraph Level 20 MT + Strix-E X570

Juraz76 : Commander C34 + Strix-E X570

Saamushain ? + Tuf X570 plus wifi

Jujunet : Level 20 MT + Strix-E X570

Atsf1317 : Level 20 MT + Strix-E X570

TT james answered that TT tested the controller card with Asus X570 Series and works perfectly. Looking for issue. No news anymore.

Can someone in this forum who own one of these cases, with an Asus X570 or TRX40 post here. To know if they are numerous or not.

It's not a coincidence or a defect. There is a real compatibility problem. The least we could do is send to these users a compatible card before they run out of warranty, or suggest a solution (quickly). These chassis are supposed to support Aura.

Best Regards,

Julien

Thermaltake sent me out a new controller under warranty... Still broken.

• 2 weeks later...

okay, so i gave it another look, and got it working, even though ive moved on and replaced the fans with noctua and added some airgoo led's

what i've done now is taken the thermaltake "controller, and removed EVERYTHING from it except the connectors. i took every resistor, capacitor and the 2 IC's off the board. 

i cut off the sata power connection  and rewired the 12v and gnd to a fan plug,

i then soldered a jumper from the 5v pin of the mobo argb in header to the 5v pin on "fan 1" and the same with digital in to the dig in on "fan 1"

now the fans get fan power, and the leds get argb 5v, dig in goes to dig in on fan 1, and daisy chains from there.

works 

sure tt is never gonna honor the warranty on it, but did anyone still believe that they ever would?

also, i did verify that the "I" on the board is not a tach line, its actually ground for the 12v system.

so there is no tach, the fans just spin at whatever speed the 12v sends them to.

as in + and - instead of 12v and gnd.

dunno why they did that, but yeah.

also, in case you were wondering, both grounds are tied together on the board within the fans, so i would still recommend replacing those soon anyways.

this isnt a perfect soloution, but it works wonderfully.

tldr;
remove everything from board
jumper aRGB: 5v to fan 1: 5v
jumper aRGB: Di to fan 1: Di
connect 12v and - on "com 1" to a chassis fan header, or leave it if you feel like wasting a sata connection.
restart your computer.

p.s.: i know i hacked the board mod up, i was getting a little frustrated the other night.

20200221_154914.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have an asus tuff x570 board and the level 20 my case.  I also have the TT 360 hardline cooling kit.  It's not a compatibility issue between the TT fan board and asus aura.  It's anything TT.  I tried hooking just the waterblock to the MB and still only 1 led lights up.  I got an email today from Termaltake saying there is a compatibility issue between their leds and Armoury Crate/Aura.

Hi,

I have good news for those who want to create a cable and solve the RGB issue of TT Level 20 MT and other cases equipped with this controller card.

I know TT still release new cases with this controller...🙄

Of course there is the PCB trick, but build a home made cable will keep the warranty of the case. There is also a possibility in the future that this issue will be resolved, if it's an software issue of Asus.

In this case, you can roll back and reinstall the controller to have a full control with it and with the Aura software.

I took a long time, because the shipment of equipment was very, very... long because of the coronavirus disease... Problem at shippment in China, and when the parcel of the last item was going in Europe. The french post stopped to work every days.😷

But now I made this cable and I can share the final tested wiring diagram and a video tutorial. I split the 6 pin TT connector to RGB + Fan power supply. The RGB of the three fans are wired in series and connected to the motherboard using a classic 5V adressable aura connector. The 3 fans are powered by a hub which is taking place of the TT controller. The hub is SATA powered, like the TT controller, to be sure to have enough power to run all.

I give you the item list you need for that :

Thermal sheath https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32997036798.html

Aura adressable RGB cable 5V 3 pins https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32989740896.html

x3 PWM cable https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957428861.html

PWM Hub sata powered https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000463360337.html

3 JST PH2 Connectors (sold by 10 items) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000071997398.html

Cost : approx 15$

Jujunet 😉

IMG_4556.JPG

On 15/1/2020 at 04:30, SaamusHain said:

Ho lo stesso problema con TUF Gaming 570-Plus (WiFI). Ho trovato molti post in merito, ma nessuna soluzione.  

Salve, potresti aiutarmi a collegare il cavo F (fornito dal case) sulla scheda madre e se puoi inserire una foto per farmi vedere. Grazie

On 5/9/2020 at 5:53 PM, jujunet said:

Hi,

I have good news for those who want to create a cable and solve the RGB issue of TT Level 20 MT and other cases equipped with this controller card.

I know TT still release new cases with this controller...🙄

Of course there is the PCB trick, but build a home made cable will keep the warranty of the case. There is also a possibility in the future that this issue will be resolved, if it's an software issue of Asus.

In this case, you can roll back and reinstall the controller to have a full control with it and with the Aura software.

I took a long time, because the shipment of equipment was very, very... long because of the coronavirus disease... Problem at shippment in China, and when the parcel of the last item was going in Europe. The french post stopped to work every days.😷

But now I made this cable and I can share the final tested wiring diagram and a video tutorial. I split the 6 pin TT connector to RGB + Fan power supply. The RGB of the three fans are wired in series and connected to the motherboard using a classic 5V adressable aura connector. The 3 fans are powered by a hub which is taking place of the TT controller. The hub is SATA powered, like the TT controller, to be sure to have enough power to run all.

I give you the item list you need for that :

Thermal sheath https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32997036798.html

Aura adressable RGB cable 5V 3 pins https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32989740896.html

x3 PWM cable https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957428861.html

PWM Hub sata powered https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000463360337.html

3 JST PH2 Connectors (sold by 10 items) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000071997398.html

Cost : approx 15$

Jujunet 😉

IMG_4556.JPG

Hello Juju,

thank you for the instructions. I actually have the same issues with a 2 fan TT chassis. Do you know if your setup can utilize the PWM port of the PWM board? Whats bugging me even more than the missing light is the fan noise when the system is idle because the fans are running a static speed. 

Hi Fusion_DE.

I thought about that too.

There is no tacho and PWM wire on these thermaltake fans. So unfortunately, we can't use DC control and PWM control directly. It may be possible to plug the fan connectors of my cable on a hub with manual regulation (rheostat for PC fan). Something like that https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000037964860.html

Theses items modify the feed voltage of the fan using a variable resistor.

there is also some regulators with temperature probe https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000191008905.html

But I don't know if it can work. I don't know how a PWM connector works. If the regulator need tacho information and PWM pin, that's bad. Ideally, we need something to decrease the voltage on pin 12V when idle, and inscrease when temperature in the case is increasing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

Just to say I bought this item and, along with my homemade cable, I can now control fan speed :

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000037964860.html

I also updated my MB to the latest bios, as suggested by Turritopsis, but I didn't tried to see if the issue is gone with my system.

I prefer control my RGB fans directly by the motherboard with my cable, without the TT controller, and control fan speed with the 4 pots controller. I unmount the bracket, isolate the back of the card with electrical tape and placed the card just below the SSD place on the right side of the case, behind the MB (by moving a spacer).

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have just bought the Level 20 GT ARGB.

Looks like I am in the same boat as a lot of you.

I have it running on a Z490 Design D Gigabyte.

Wired the 5V with the supplied cable.

Neither my RGB Fusion sees the fans or RGB and Thermnal take software  says it cannot see a fan controller.

Just a number of issues witrh this case that need ironing out ... the usb 3 cable does not fit my port , bought a convertor and now have no usb 3.1 but do have usb C.

As for the explination of hOow to mouunt a gpu RISER .... good grief ... I bought a cosair cable and there is no way to affix it to the support ?? is this right

Anyone have any pointers please ???

Wayne

• 4 months later...

I may have a partial solution. I have the c36 and an ASUS b550-f and like you, my front case fans would not sync properly. Only half of 1 fan would sync. 

Solution: In the armoury crate software go into the motherboard section. Click "addressable headers" where it says number of LEDs, 1 is default. Change that to 2 or higher and all the lights on the fans will work as intended. I set my number to 100. I read somewhere that there were 90 LEDs or so in the fans. So 100 seemed to fit. 

Hopefully this is the answer you were looking for. Im scrolling through all of the forums that I browsed trying to find an answer and trying to pass on my discovery to anyone and everyone as I never did find a solution outside of purchasing a splitter.

• 2 years later...

It worked for me Chris R .  The mother board section was not easy to find.

In my version of armory crate you click on device from the left menu.  and your motherboard name and macros comes up to the right. then click your motherboard name.  then the motherboard info is there and the left most tab says addressable headers.  click on that tab and then the dialog box for number of LEDs is in the center of the screen. I entered 110 but you can choose up to 500.  Thanks to Chris for discovering this fix.  

Screenshot 2024-02-28 183823 (2).png