View 37 ARGB Fan problem

GregAMD

I'm using a View 37 that I bought over the Christmas break for a new AMD Threadripper project.

The fans all work fine and the LEDS all work when they are run in one of the numerous "case: mode. 

But when I switch it to AURA mode only the fan attached to fan port #1 (of the TT fan hub) syncs with the  ASUS MB.  the other two are dark. (spinning, but dark)

If I unplug the fan in port 1 (of the TT fan controller hub) and plug in a different fan, then that fan lights up... So the fans (and their LEDs) are fine...

Is there some trick or software to install to get AURA to talk to the other two fans?

Thanks!

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

7 hours ago, GregAMD said:

I'm using a View 37 that I bought over the Christmas break for a new AMD Threadripper project.

The fans all work fine and the LEDS all work when they are run in one of the numerous "case: mode. 

But when I switch it to AURA mode only the fan attached to fan port #1 syncs with the  ASUS MB.  the other two are dark. (spinning, but dark)

If I unplug the fan in port 1 and plug in a different fan, then that fan lights up... So the fans (and their LEDs) are fine...

Is there some trick or software to install to get AURA to talk to the other two fans?

Thanks!

Hello GregAMD

this is James from Thermaltake Case Team

could you please shoot a quick video for me---how do the fans connected on the ARGB control board and  "If I unplug the fan in port 1 and plug in a different fan, then that fan lights up."

so that I would have better understanding on how's going on and figure out how i could help you with! 

PM me if there is any further concern.

thank you! 

Hi James 

Thanks for your post.

I added the photos to my initial post.  A browse of this forum and there seems to be lots a challenges getting the "case ARGB TT hub" with "6 pin fans" to work with the AURA input from the MB. 

Based on your PM I have reinstalled AURA (there are three versions available from ASUS)  I tried clean installs of all three, and all have the same issue ( versions  1.07.66. 1.07.71 and 1.07.79 were tested).  Again, only the fan that is plugged in to FAN1 on the TT hub will "play" with AURA the other two fans while spinning are dark.

Is there an older (or other) version of AURA that is know to solve this problem?  or is the Hub bad?

I have the exact same controller but on a different case (Commander C31) and I also have the exact same problem:   all fan light up when using controller but when I switch to motherboard sync, only a 1 led of top fan work.  My motherboard is Asus Prime x570-P model.

In Asus Aura, it show that there is only 1 addressable light on the strip.

Interesting detail: If I unplug SATA power for the controller, fan obviously dont spin, and they don't light up either, but Aura says there is 120 led now on the strip.

23 hours ago, rem0te42 said:

I have the exact same controller but on a different case (Commander C31) and I also have the exact same problem:   all fan light up when using controller but when I switch to motherboard sync, only a 1 led of top fan work.  My motherboard is Asus Prime x570-P model.

In Asus Aura, it show that there is only 1 addressable light on the strip.

Interesting detail: If I unplug SATA power for the controller, fan obviously dont spin, and they don't light up either, but Aura says there is 120 led now on the strip.

That is weird.  If I'm looking at the right case you have 2 200mm ARGB fans.  I think there are only 9 LEDs on the perimeter of these fans.

1 hour ago, Tech Geek said:

That is weird.  If I'm looking at the right case you have 2 200mm ARGB fans.  I think there are only 9 LEDs on the perimeter of these fans.

the default/max for the tuf boards is 120. so it just read a very high resistance on the signal line, and assigned the max value to the multiplexer. 

36 minutes ago, CplPunishr said:

the default/max for the tuf boards is 120. so it just read a very high resistance on the signal line, and assigned the max value to the multiplexer. 

I'm an electronics engineer, I wasn't aware that it was auto-sensing using any electrical property (such as resistance).  I think the LEDs are addressed via serial communication of some type.  The 120 value is the maximum Aura allows in that field.

I think what occurs is an "address" is send down the data line with reference to ground followed by data which corresponds to color (3X8=24 bits R-G-B).  That's just a guess without getting an oscilloscope on the data line to see what's going on though.

8 hours ago, Tech Geek said:

I'm an electronics engineer, I wasn't aware that it was auto-sensing using any electrical property (such as resistance).  I think the LEDs are addressed via serial communication of some type.  The 120 value is the maximum Aura allows in that field.

I think what occurs is an "address" is send down the data line with reference to ground followed by data which corresponds to color (3X8=24 bits R-G-B).  That's just a guess without getting an oscilloscope on the data line to see what's going on though.

as an electronics technician, I can confirm that I think that's exactly it. I just didnt have the words after bedtime last night.  thank you. there is an auto sensing effect of some sort though, I've seen it detect 1, 21, and 42 LEDs after replacing the fans in my case with some argb strips and noctua fans, but I would still love tt to solve this issue for real. the auto sense function doesnt seem real reliable though, because i have had it read 120 when there were fewer and 1 when there were more leds in the system. you can also set the value manually. 

On 1/20/2020 at 6:41 AM, TT James said:

Hello GregAMD

this is James from Thermaltake Case Team

could you please shoot a quick video for me---how do the fans connected on the ARGB control board and  "If I unplug the fan in port 1 and plug in a different fan, then that fan lights up."

so that I would have better understanding on how's going on and figure out how i could help you with! 

PM me if there is any further concern.

thank you! 

autoclicker

Is there an older (or other) version of AURA that is know to solve this problem?  or is the Hub bad?

On 2/5/2020 at 9:41 PM, Tech Geek said:

I received a response from ThermalTake support requesting that I put in a RMA request for the controller and the cable.  GregAMD, did you just get a controller?  Or did you get both the controller and the cable from ThermalTake support?

just the controller.

2 hours ago, GregAMD said:

just the controller.

Well apparently I'm getting a controller and cable.  However I'm certain the cable isn't at fault as FAN1 seems to partially sync in Aura.  When I say partially the LEDs that do light, and light with the correct color and effect.  So that would indicate that its communicating with the controller board.  I would suspect that the when switched to motherboard control, the controller is just a pass though to the fans.  I'm wondering if the motherboard is unable to determine the number of LEDs on the fans through the controller.  Inhibiting the communication / detect to the fans so to speak.

On 1/31/2020 at 5:12 PM, Bryan Phurrough said:

I also have the exact same problem.  I have an Asus ROG Strix 570-E Gaming MB.  I also have a TT Floe Riing 360 AIO with Riing Plus fans and 2 Asus ROG Strix Radeon RX580 08G Gaming OC Edition video cards that the MB doesn't see.  Everything lights up, I just can't sync them.

I'm anxious to hear if the new controller fixes the problem.  I replaced the AIO controller with the new TT Sync controller and now I can sync everything except the 3 case fans.  FAN1 (rear) works and syncs perfectly.  The front fans spin but don't light up.  I switched the FAN1 and FAN2 connectors and, as expected, the rear fan lights stopped working and the front fan worked perfectly.

CplPunishr & Tech Geek,

Would either of you consider making a custom 6 pin male to 9 pin USB 2.0 female adapter?  I'd buy a half dozen or so myself.  I actually found something I think may work (link below) but I can only find it in the UK, I've only found one place that actually has one,  and they don't ship to the US.  I've asked them if they'd make an exception and await their response.

https://madoffers.co.uk/products/rgb-pc-fan-adaptor-with-4-x-6pin-1-x-molex-1-x-aura

adaptor.jpg

lol. We are all looking for same thing 😄.

I've take a look to amazon a few time and i saw this adaptor, but it isn't available in amazon.fr. 

Link to Amazon.fr https://www.amazon.fr/Unbranded-Adaptateur-ventilateur-broches-Molex/dp/B07D5DXL12

But the user review is.... He burned his RGB leds.

I just buy a few minutes some stuff in aliexpress (RGB cable, PWM hub, Power SATA, 6 pin PH2 connectors ...). Maybe possible to wire three 6 pins PH2 connectors to 3 PWM cable, and a RGB 5V cable to the three 6 pin PH2. Then, plug the three PWM cables to a PWM hub. The idea is to bypass the controller without cut any cable on the case. Just make a cable to bypass.

I will able to control speed fan with DC of motherboard and RGB directly. The hub, powered by SATA supply, will deliver enough power for 3 fans.

The only thing that I understand, but I have a doubt :

If I connect the data cable (central pin of 3 pin RGB outlet) from MB to the DI of the first FAN, and solder a cable from the DO pin of the first FAN to DI of second FAN and same for second to the third : It's like a ribbon of 27 led ? But the last DO ? Shoult it be kept empty ?

8 hours ago, Bryan Phurrough said:

CplPunishr & Tech Geek,

Would either of you consider making a custom 6 pin male to 9 pin USB 2.0 female adapter?  I'd buy a half dozen or so myself.  I actually found something I think may work (link below) but I can only find it in the UK, I've only found one place that actually has one,  and they don't ship to the US.  I've asked them if they'd make an exception and await their response.

https://madoffers.co.uk/products/rgb-pc-fan-adaptor-with-4-x-6pin-1-x-molex-1-x-aura

adaptor.jpg

I have considered it. I will ne experimenting with the fans and controller I ha e to see if I can get it to work on a test bench. I'll let you know what I come up with. I'm just not real certain what the best solution is. 

On 2/14/2020 at 9:26 PM, Bryan Phurrough said:

CplPunishr & Tech Geek,

adaptor.jpg

One more thing about that : we are not sure if this cable pinout is compatible with our fans. This cable have a four pin RGB, which is 12V RGV not adressable. And we don't know if the cable fans are mounted in series or parallel for RGB lightning.

When I saw my fans working with the MB and rainbow effect, this was wonderful because the color of the three fans were different and move from one to the other like waves. I've never seen that since I have this case (october 2019...). It lasted 5 minutes... That motivate me to build a cable :D

In LEVEL 20 MT : I think the three fans are mounted in series for RGB when MB is under control and parralel when the controller card is driving. On the other case, the three fans would be some clones with the same lightning pattern, like when control with the controller card. That would explain why there is a jumper between DI and DO (Data IN Data out) on connector 1 when there is two fans in the case, like Commander C36.

On the Card we have these notes :

12V : Sure : power supply of fans for spinning

I : I think it's de Information for rotation monitoring -> it would be possible to drive spinning speed from the MB with DC, because there is no PWM. On a fan, here is always 3 cables, 4 when PWM. Minimum is 3 cables : 12V, GND, and Tachometer. Think "I" is Tacho.

5V : Sure : it's power supply of RGB adressable

DO : pretty sure Data out

DI : pretty sure : Data IN

GND : Sure : ground

I order that https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000071997398.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.289d6c37olewL2

So I will solder cables from the connector of Aliexpress and no modification on the case. Just plug the connector fan on it.

Card to control speed with MB https://''/item/4000463360337.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.289d6c37olewL2

PWM cables that I will cut the head (and control cable not used, just 12V, GND and Tacho) : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32957428861.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.289d6c37olewL2

30cm RGB 5V 3 pin (will cut the head) https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32989740896.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.289d6c37olewL2

On first time I will test a fan with external 12V PS and the info cable of the hub to safely confirm that "I" is the tacho Info. After that I will test if I can synchronize one Fan with RGB driving by MB, and two, three...

My wiring diagram :

IMG_3294_2.jpg

EDIT 28 FEBRUARY 2020 : Cplpunishr discovered I is not tacho but Ground. I comfirmed that, no information out of this pin when fan is spinning. I must be wired to ground. Also no need to plug the cable between PWM hub and the motherboard.

I am so thankful to find this thread though I am sad to see there is no resolution.  My boyfriend and I have been working on building him a kicking gaming rig and this was HIS choice of case.  We are using the ASUS tuf gaming plus WiFi x570 (great name huh, so creative).  We have this paired with a ryzen 5 3600x.  I have tried swapping the location of all the fans and still only the one in slot one works,  currently set to top front fan.  As a experiment I left the first fan unplugged and none of the LEDs worked, not even with the built in controller.  I will be contacting ASUS next just to try and solve this from both ends.  Hopefully a resolution will be found soon.