View 37 ARGB Fan problem

GregAMD

I still have an issue with my 2nd GPU lagging behind everything else but I'm done for now.  I changed the scheme to Rainbow so you really can't tell the 2nd GPU and the PS aren't synced.  I want to thank everyone on this thread for all your support and the invaluable information you provided.  What's in the box:

1. TT View 37 ARGB
  2. Asus AMD AM4 ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
  3. AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
  4. Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad 
  5. TT 1200W PS (has lights but doesn't sync)
  6. 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
  7. Asus ROG Strix Radeon RX 580 08G Gaming OC Edition (x2)
  8. TT Floe AIO Triple Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition
  9. 1 TB M2 Drive (x3)
  10. 8.5 TB Additional Storage

BTW, I highly recommend the thermal pad.  The temperature difference is negligible unless you're doing some extreme OCing.  No messy paste and they're reusable.

IMG_20200318_122827.jpg

IMG_20200318_122604.jpg

That's a lot of storage.  Are you a photographer, content creator, or video editor?  Do you find the vertically mounted GPU getting warmer?  Looks pretty close to the acrylic side panel.

I think I've corrected my negative air pressure in this case.  It's probably closer to neutral now.  I added a Corsair ML140 in the bottom of my case as intake.  The issue was the three radiator fans venting out the panel side of the case was essentially venting all the air being brought in by the 2 X 200mm front fans.  So if I hung toilet paper around any of the vent holes at the back of the case, it got pulled into them.  The only place where the toilet paper was being pushed out was right where the rear 120mm fan is located.  First I tried to set the pump / fans to a lower speed (the Fractal Celcius S36 has a fan hub that runs off one header on the motherboard with the pump) to see if I could get some airflow past the radiator, but it didn't help a whole lot.  The addition of the Corsair fan seems to have balanced it.  I could get it to go positive, but I would have to crank the Corsair fan up to where I could hear it (unacceptable).  I guess another option would be to switch the radiator fans around to pull air in to the case, the grill there is screened.  My preference has always been to have positive air pressure though all the research shows it really doesn't have much affect on the overall temps.  Though I think specifically to my case, I wasn't getting any fresh air past the radiator, so while CPU temps were unaffected, around the motherboard and further back suffered.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 9:05 PM, Tech Geek said:

OK, I got tired of waiting on ASUS and them asking stupid questions rather than fixing their software.  I have a relatively simple modification to the board that will get this working.  After tracing out the circuit it's a simple matter of removing U1.  Actually you could lift/cut the legs/pins 5 and 6, but removing it maybe easier.  Once this is complete, the switch used to switch color/effect/mode no longer works, but I assume you don't want that functionality anyway.  Actually you could repurpose this switch as a system reset switch.  Just to be clear nothing else needs to be done.  I've attached a picture of what the board looks like just so you can see nothing else needs to be done.  No need to add wires, short anything, etc.

The software will default to 120 LEDs, so if you don't want a gap in the effect (while it's talking to LEDs from 28 - 120) make sure to set that number to 27.  Presumably if you have the right connector you could use the ARGB out connector (for the fourth fan) to run an ARGB strip.  Of course you'd have to add those LEDs to the total.

20200303_203958.jpg

Are you using Armoury Crate or Aurora? Does it matter which software I use? I have the x570 wifi MB and the TT v250. Same RGB controller. Same exact issue. 

On 3/7/2020 at 8:25 PM, Bryan Phurrough said:

Perfect!  Thank you so much.

BTW, How did you get that felt off the back?

Never mind, I just cut around U1.

IMG_20200307_220510.jpg

I can confirm that removing the U1 chip from the fan hub, immediately makes the Asus lighting sync software control all 3 fan RGBs flawlessly. I first tried to desolder the chip but then took wire clips to it. This went much faster. I then plugged the reset switch lead into the MB reset pins and now I have that functionality back. The truth is, I'd never use the stock patterns when the sync software makes everything looks so fantastic. I just wish TT would have responded to the 2 emails I sent. It's now going on 4 weeks and 2 weeks respectively with absolutely no response. Thank you all, especially Bryan Phurrough and Tech Geek for running this down and taking the time out to help us all. I see so many other people having the exact same issue. This fix makes the whole case look amazing!

On 4/26/2020 at 2:35 AM, buzzman003 said:

Are you using Armoury Crate or Aurora? Does it matter which software I use? I have the x570 wifi MB and the TT v250. Same RGB controller. Same exact issue. 

I'm using Armory Crate, but I presume that Aura would work the same.  I think Armory Crate is just a wrapper for multiple ASUS software, Aura being one of them.  I also have played with Aura Creator to make some of my own affects.

I'll be frank though, I've always found ASUS hardware to be excellent, their software on the otherhand is garbage.  I wish someone would do a third party ARGB / RGB control software like Unwinder does for Afterburner / RTSS, or Speedfan / HWInfo / HWMonitor.  I'm sure a third party could do it better.  Make it hardware agnostic, like a drop down box for selecting the manufacturer (ASUS, GigaByte, ASRock, etc) or an autodetect sequence.  I've even found in the past that ASUS software was causing random (and very infrequent) BSOD's that took running it down with Driver Verifier. 

On 4/26/2020 at 4:57 PM, buzzman003 said:

I can confirm that removing the U1 chip from the fan hub, immediately makes the Asus lighting sync software control all 3 fan RGBs flawlessly. I first tried to desolder the chip but then took wire clips to it. This went much faster. I then plugged the reset switch lead into the MB reset pins and now I have that functionality back. The truth is, I'd never use the stock patterns when the sync software makes everything looks so fantastic. I just wish TT would have responded to the 2 emails I sent. It's now going on 4 weeks and 2 weeks respectively with absolutely no response. Thank you all, especially Bryan Phurrough and Tech Geek for running this down and taking the time out to help us all. I see so many other people having the exact same issue. This fix makes the whole case look amazing!

To be honest, I think it's ASUS software at fault and not TT's controller/case.  The Number of LEDs shouldn't be locked out by whatever stops it.  If it worked properly, you should be able to set that value and it just works.  Whatever ASUS does during startup/powerup causes this value to lock at 1, and even though it will let you change it, it reverts to 1 after changing it.  If the issue was between their case / motherboard / software, it would have been fixed already.  Since the issue comes about when mixing a third party case, they can deny it's their issue and not invest any time and money resolving the issue.

14 hours ago, Bryan Phurrough said:

I thought I was done with this issue but this morning my front fans stopped lighting up.  More to come...

I'm using Crate and my LED count on ARGB header 1 is now resetting to 1 again.  ####!  There must have been a software update because nothing else has changed.

Mine is still working, but I'm showing an update in Crate.  It must be recent because I was just in there yesterday or the day before and it wasn't showing any updates.  It is showing one for the ASUS HAL Central and Aura Kit.  So I'll probably hold off on updating those for now.

Have you tried rebooting.  I've had odd behavior that seemed to sort itself out after a reboot.

My issue appeared prior to any updates and I tried all the usual things (reboot, stop/start service, etc.) but nothing worked.  I then installed the HAL update but the lights still didn't work.  I also set the service to a delayed start but again, no change.  After all that, I turn my PC on this morning and the lights are working again.  Guess I'll just chalk this one up to gremlins and move on for now.

12 hours ago, Bryan Phurrough said:

My issue appeared prior to any updates and I tried all the usual things (reboot, stop/start service, etc.) but nothing worked.  I then installed the HAL update but the lights still didn't work.  I also set the service to a delayed start but again, no change.  After all that, I turn my PC on this morning and the lights are working again.  Guess I'll just chalk this one up to gremlins and move on for now.

I had some weird software issues, but when I went into the Addressable Headers tab there were two headers showing and it was causing weird stuff.  Most cases a reboot fixed it, but a couple times I just closed and re-opened Armory Crate (doing random or repeated things) and the second header disappeared.

Most definitely there are still software issues, and there are bound to be more in the future.  As for the hardware (controller) issue, it no longer causes the software to trip up and lock the Number or LEDs to 1 as there is no device driving the LEDs besides the motherboard.  I'm sure this could have been resolved without the modification of the controller, but it appears that ASUS couldn't or more likely, had no real incentive to fix the problem with their software.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem, with the same RGB board.

Everything with RGB is listed below
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WI-FI 6 X570
2x8Gb Thermaltake TOUGHRAM RGB DDR4 4400MHz
1 RGB strip (not addressable)
Thermaltake View 37 Case aRGB Edition

ASUS aura never reads 27 leds and I don't want to remove the U1 chip, just a solution for this problem. :(
The trick to switch port and numer of leds to 27 works and also resets to 1 on power down/up.

I don't think I will ever buy a TT case again, very dissapointed.

On 6/1/2020 at 5:24 PM, Protein said:

I have the same problem, with the same RGB board.

Everything with RGB is listed below
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WI-FI 6 X570
2x8Gb Thermaltake TOUGHRAM RGB DDR4 4400MHz
1 RGB strip (not addressable)
Thermaltake View 37 Case aRGB Edition

ASUS aura never reads 27 leds and I don't want to remove the U1 chip, just a solution for this problem. :(
The trick to switch port and numer of leds to 27 works and also resets to 1 on power down/up.

I don't think I will ever buy a TT case again, very dissapointed.

I don't believe this to be a ThermalTake issue.  The workaround seems to be isolating the controller from the ARGB out from the motherboard works, but it's something with ASUS software.  

• 2 weeks later...

I’m having the exact same issue with my View 51 Case. I have the same issue with my fan controller on a View 51 Case. I got it working for almost a full day but it stopped after a reboot. That being said... I called TT support and they are suppose to send me a new control board but I’m not too confident based on the comments in this thread. I’m close to just cutting my losses and returning this case picking up something else instead.

It’s a shame too as I was looking to add some more LED fans to this system and even order a TT Premium Control board only to find out the pins on the fans are different than anything else TT makes. Thus making it even hard to add more LED fans to this system without replacing the originals...