Jump to content
MDKagent007

Thermaltake View 31 not compatible with ASUS board, Maximus Z390

Recommended Posts

Whatever you do, do your research before you buy any thermaltake cases...I just learned a hard and expensive lesson.

The ThermalTake View 31 is incompatible with majority of the ASUS 390 series boards....

Here is what the ASUS Z390 Maximus XI (Wifi) looks like inside it, I am unable to mount it...due to the fact that the holes don't line up all because the motherboard has a built in I/o plate.

I bought the case off newegg.com and now i'm screwed, literally speaking; fortunately, newegg.com waived my re-stocking fees and provided a free return shipping label, so I am expected to get my full refund once they receive it.

So once I get my refund, I will be out looking again for another case; this time, i'm doing my homework before I order another one again.

Link to ASUS post @ https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106464-ASUS-ROG-z390-Maximus-XI-Hero-(Wifi)-Does-NOT-fit-in-a-ThermalTake-View-31-Series-ATX&p=745373#post745373

 

 

 

 

 

 

pic1.jpg

view31_2.PNG

view31_5.PNG

view31_6.PNG

view31_4.PNG

view31_3.PNG

view31_7.PNG

inside1.PNG

inside2.PNG

inside3.PNG

inside4.PNG

inside5.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

It will work, the new MB you will see from ASUS and Gigabyte both have this new design.

It takes an extra look to get the I/O lined up right so the mounting holes line up. You have to push the board left to get the compression and secure it.

That I/O panel is an industry standard, it will be the same with others that are not open frame. 

Sorry for the frustrations you have had with this, good luck with whatever you decide to do, but either that case is damaged (Bent) or it is just a lesson on using a MB with a built on I/O.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 11:16 AM, ThermalMike said:

Hello,

It will work, the new MB you will see from ASUS and Gigabyte both have this new design.

It takes an extra look to get the I/O lined up right so the mounting holes line up. You have to push the board left to get the compression and secure it.

That I/O panel is an industry standard, it will be the same with others that are not open frame. 

Sorry for the frustrations you have had with this, good luck with whatever you decide to do, but either that case is damaged (Bent) or it is just a lesson on using a MB with a built on I/O.

If you say so...

I just took the board to a computer shop today (prior to seeing your post) and the board does not even fit into any InWin branded case, the holes do not line up. And the case is brand new, no bends as you state...the shop said to not buy cheap ASUS crap and recommends going with MSI...hence, i'm going back to where I bought it and trading this bull #### ASUS crap in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 11:17 AM, ThermalMike said:

To add a personal experience, I just built a View 71 with a Aorus Master Z390 and I saw the same thing, just had to push it more to the left and it was good.

 

Interesting comment, considering the Aorus is not made by ASUS but by Gigabyte; it makes your recommendation irrelevant as its not even the same manufacturer...talk to me when you try to fit an ASUS z390 Maximus XI Wifi series board into an InWin case...the computer shop where I took it couldn't even get it in after 5 different case attempts...I was advised to return the ASUS board and instead purchase an MSI series...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 11:17 AM, ThermalMike said:

To add a personal experience, I just built a View 71 with a Aorus Master Z390 and I saw the same thing, just had to push it more to the left and it was good.

 

It would appear i'm not the only one with problems...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105681-Maximus-XI-Code-Z390-will-not-fit-my-ATX-case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

From what I see,  it is only a couple people on that thread, I still think you just have to understand how to install it. I looked at the pictures again, its not far off, but I am in no way suggesting you do anything you are not comfortable with. 

No I dont have that one, Gigabyte shares the same "feature" so it was just a reference. I have used other boards from asus with the built-in I/O and didnt have any big problems, just noticed same like you, gave it a push to the left and it was all good.

I would recommend however to go with an Aorus for the Z390 as their boards have had the best reviews and I am happy with my Z390 Master.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

Just wanted to update here, we have seen reports of this motherboard with several other case manufactures having the same issue. 

We are investigating this on our end to ensure we are compliant with the I/O Spec. 

At this time we dont see any known issues with our Thermaltake Chassis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 3:16 PM, ThermalMike said:

Hi, 

From what I see,  it is only a couple people on that thread, I still think you just have to understand how to install it. I looked at the pictures again, its not far off, but I am in no way suggesting you do anything you are not comfortable with. 

No I dont have that one, Gigabyte shares the same "feature" so it was just a reference. I have used other boards from asus with the built-in I/O and didnt have any big problems, just noticed same like you, gave it a push to the left and it was all good.

I would recommend however to go with an Aorus for the Z390 as their boards have had the best reviews and I am happy with my Z390 Master.

 

Understand how to install it? Are you joking? I've had five (5) A+ Certified Technicians not able to install it into a thermaltake and InWin cases in multiple computer shops, you are naive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 2:15 PM, ThermalMike said:

Hello,

Just wanted to update here, we have seen reports of this motherboard with several other case manufactures having the same issue. 

We are investigating this on our end to ensure we are compliant with the I/O Spec. 

At this time we dont see any known issues with our Thermaltake Chassis.

The problem is the LIP on the I/O shield of the ASUS z390...

bend.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only case I was able to successfully install the ASUS z390 Maximus XI Hero (Wifi) motherboard is after buying a CoolerMaster MasterBox 5 RGB Pro Series ATX Case. But this is after failed attempts at 14 others...that includes ThermalTake and InWin...The CoolerMaster fits the z390 from ASUS like a glove. No required modifications. Even the insane CoolerMaster V8 GTS Air Cooler fits in the case. 

I am disapointed as I originally wanted a ThermalTake Case 31 series which did not work at all. Can you tell me if the board will fit in a ThermalTake 91 series? I was planning on buying that next year. But if I am going to experience the same thing as in the 31 series, that plan is a write off for me...

86CA680D-E76D-4EE1-AA23-48BF1C83FD62.jpeg

64888583-EF05-4C83-9A17-A759CD9E9DCA.jpeg

26F209C5-D27F-48D2-B794-C14682D685B5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey I figured this would help, I looked up users that had cases that work and went to measure the opening physically. 

The measurements to fit are 6 7/16 inches (long side) 1 3/4 inches for shorter side and you will be fine

FYI I had the view 37 which is the same as the View 31 but with RGB lights and I had the same problem with the hero xi motherboard, I have a View 71 and it fits see photos to see all holes line, I do not have to put any force to make them line up

 

IMG_20181206_151128.jpg

IMG_20181206_151131.jpg

IMG_20181206_151135.jpg

IMG_20181206_151144.jpg

IMG_20181206_151147.jpg

IMG_20181206_151154.jpg

IMG_20181206_151215.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×