Old Riing AMD problem, workaround

Plopsi

Hey everyone,

here is a teaser to a workaround for the AMD-Riing problem. I solved it via a batch-file (with the Microsoft devcon.exe) here is the batch at first:

%~dp0devcon.exe disable USB\VID_264A"&"PID_1FA5
start "" /min /d "C:\Program Files\Tt\TT RGB Plus" "TT RGB Plus.exe"
timeout /t 5
%~dp0devcon.exe enable USB\VID_264A"&"PID_1FA5

it basically just deplugges (virtually - means it just powers it down) the usb without depluggin it (the devcon.exe call, the "%~dp0" means in batch to call it in directory).

after deplug it starts the "TT TRGB Plus" app, waits 5 seconds (timout /t 5) - maybe you need to adjust it - and then replugg the Riing Controller again.

You need to create a shortcut from the batch an add the administrator rights (otherwise the devcon is not allowed to depower things). The devcon.exe you need to get from Microsoft, it's part of many developmentkits, but you can also get it from cab-files, i will come back later with a proper instruction for that later... (for now, check google and search for devcon.exe, and only trust Microsoftpages)

another thing is the USB\VID_264A"&"PID_1FA5 string, the VID_264A should always be Thermaltake. but check the PID_1FA5 part. I'm 95% sure that it's the same for everyone with the "faulty" controller. You can use USBView - also from Microsoft. And regarding this: It don't see any differences between a already pluged in and a repluged-in state of that device... - at least in USBView.

So far for now, will come back later. Currently I'm totally disappointed from TT and their developers, that the devcon does is easily doable in any executeable. The worst thing is that they not even offered a workaround. Yeah there was/is a RMA but I don't move this really heavy brick from the wall, it's there since Ryzen 1 and it stays there till I'm again capable to move it from the wall ;)

So far,

will come later with a more detailed explanation what this simple batch is doing and where to get this devcon without installing the IDEs from Microsoft.

Edit:

Check https://superuser.com/a/1099688 for an easy way to get the devcon.exefrom Microsoft.

- Plopsi

PS: oh the quotes around & are correct :) it's really "&"

PPS: everything on own risk :) - check the USB/* at first, in the device-manager you find it under HID ( Human Interface Devices - don't ask me why) not USB devices. You can try to deactivate it, starte TT-App and reactivate it, if the TT-App catches up that's the right one :)