Thermaltake recently started a testing program for the SPM compatible PSUâ€™s and I was lucky enough to be chosen to test a 650w PSU. So I decided to throw together a quick Rig to test her out in. Most of this build is just that a build. A lot of the parts where already modded and painted by me previously but I thought it would be a cool little temporary PC while I finish off the Padded Cell build. I apologize for the lack of photos and the photo quality the build log was kind of a hindsight.
Case â€“ Coolermaster Haf-X
Motherboard â€“ Asus Crosshair V Formula
CPU â€“ AMD Phenom II x4 975
Memory â€“ Corsair Dominator GT 8gb
GPU â€“ Asus 6950 Direct CU II 1gb
PSU â€“ Thermaltake DPS G 650w
Other bits â€“ Old school EK supreme block, Aerocool Strike X fan Controller, XSPC RX120 Radiators, XSPC Rasa Bay Res/Pump combo, Mixed fans, LCD Smartie, 4x HDD.
First of lets have a quick look at the Thermaltake DPS G 650w PSU. The unit is 80 plus gold rated and as you can see is a semi modular. Unpacking the PSU it feels very sturdy and features flat cables cables kind of like the old school ribbon cables. All the modular cables are stored away securely in a nice little Thermaltake pouch.
The PSU also comes with a extended 7 year warranty, which is great for people like me who are PSU jinxed.
The DPS G 650w also features Ttâ€™s new SPM software for monitoring hardware and power consumption. This information can be retrieved via a desktop monitoring application or a Smart phone app of your choice. (Android/Apple). This is a really cool aspect of these power supplies and lets me keep track of all the numbers my OCD demands. The information can then be uploaded to the SPM cloud where I can reference the numbers later.
Link to the PSU - http://www.thermaltake.com.au/Power_Supply/Smart_Series_/Smart_DPS_G/C_00002720/Smart_DPS_G_650W_Gold/design.htm
The case is an old project that was already painted which saved me a bunch of time but I did decide to touch up the front mesh panel as a few years of knocks and dust had chipped away some paint. I also had a spare thick 120mm XSPC radiator I wanted to use so I gave them both a quick shot of paint. It worked out perfect as I had only recently grabbed a can of this color green accidentally.
My old PSU shroud that came stock with the case was pretty banged up from the last time it was installed so I chose to make a quick new one. Unfortunately all my good quality acrylic is tied up with another project so the PSU shroud was made from an ancient piece of acrylic that I probably should have sanded a little better. I drilled a few holes to comb the front panel connectors thru and also cut some slots for the USB connectors.
I decided to do something a bit different to the traditional Thermaltake razor sun logo and went with a gear design for the outer circle. I started by printing onto the back of my vinyl, however cutting from the back tore the vinyl. So I instead printed the logos out straight onto the vinyl then just wiped the ink back off the vinyl after I finished cutting the design with my trusty exacto knife.
I also wanted to mount in the LCD smartie with the hope of programming it to give me a read out from the Tt Psu app, all though I still havenâ€™t had time to properly set it up.
I really wanted to cover up the gross stock rear panel so I pinched a rear connector cover I had made up for the padded cell and gave that a shoot with the emerald green also. I really like how this turned out.
As for sleeving I decided to leave all the cables stock and salvaged what I could from my green cable box. This will hopefully give me some nice clean power results during the PSU testing phase.
So after some messing round with case athletics and filling and bleeding the loop it was time to boot. I have a major LOVE/Hate relationship with this Asus Crosshair V. It has been RMAd twice as it is one of the most faulty boards I have ever used. It is extremely temperamental, one min it hates ram the next min it loves it etc etc.
So what should have been an easy install turned into a 6 hour endurance session as I swapped Ram and GPUs till I found a combo the board would â€œAcceptâ€. Unfortunately the memory the board decided it liked was Bright LED blue Crucial Ballistix Tracer ram. For those that have not used or seen this Ram before it is epilepsy inducing and looked completely out of place in this build.
Luckily after stripping my main PC I could donate some Corsair Dominator GT ram to the system and it ran first go and looked a whole bunch better than the LED crucial kit.
So here she is up and running.
I would like to say a huge thank you to Thermaltake for allowing me to be one of the lucky testers of these great Power Supplies, I hope everyone enjoyed the build.