Issue with CPU temp

Tri

Hi All,

I am looking for help with my setup, as I have temp issues. I built myself a new comp last year, an i9 with a gforce 3070 in a thermaltake C31 Commander with a Thermaltake TH120 liquid cooler. I got 2x 210mm fans at the front blowing cool air in, 2x 120mm Pure Duos at the top blowing hot air out and the radiator for the cpu cooler at the back.

Resting, my comp sits at around 30C. When I play (mostly Destiny 2) it usually goes to 50someC. But every now and again it goes in the high 90Cs and most of the time my fans run full speed. Minecraft managed to overheat my comp and have it shut off more than once.

Originally I had the fan on the radiator blow air out, but that caused more heat. I flipped it to sucking air in and that worked better, resulting in the temps above. I've never had issues with a liquid CPU cooler like that, been using one from MSI for years prior to this built. What am I doing wrong? I'm at a loss.. 

Appreciate your time in advance.

Cheers

Tri

IMG_E9883.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Tri,

Regarding your problem TH120 ARGB Sync Liquid Cooler could not cool down an Intel Core i9 processor. Could you tell us which Intel Core i9 sku are you using? 

Basically, the latest 12/13th Gen Intel Core Processor (Alder Lake/Raptor Lake) is designed with a higher TDP above 125W, therefore it requires liquid coolers with a higher cooling power. We recommend using a 240mm/360mm Liquid Cooler for mainstream i9-12900 / i9-13900 processor cooling, if it is a performance level i9-12900K/i9-12900KS or i9-13900K processor, it would require a 420mm Liquid Cooler to unleash its performance.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thank you!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Certainly! It seems like your cooling setup is decent with the liquid cooler and the fans configured to pull cool air in and push hot air out. However, despite these efforts, you're still encountering temperature issues with your CPU. One potential factor to consider is the thermal paste application between your CPU and the liquid cooler. Ensuring proper application and reapplication if necessary can significantly improve thermal conductivity. Additionally, double-checking the radiator's positioning and ensuring it's not obstructed can help optimize cooling efficiency. Considering the resource-intensive nature of games like Minecraft APK, where CPU utilization can spike, addressing these cooling concerns is crucial for maintaining optimal performance and preventing thermal throttling issues.