Help with cables for Toughpower GF3 1000W

Sinbad56

Hi, 

Looking for some help with the new PC I build. 

I recently build a new 7900 XTX build which I paired with a Toughpower GF3 1000.

The 7900 XTX takes 3x 8 pin PCIe cables but the PSU only came with 2x 2x8pin (i.e., 4 connections total from 2 cables). When i first build the PC, I used 1 cable with 1 connection and the 2nd cable with two connections daisy chained. 

There didn't seem to be any issues but I'd read not to daisy chain so I ended up purchasing 3x 8 pin connectors from a well know cable modding website, and switched over (I removed the 4 pin CPU connector from the CPU at the same time to free up a PCIe slot on the PSU).

Since doing this I keep experiencing random reboots of my pc during gaming. 

It might be coincidence, but the only thing I can think that has changed was switching out the PCIe cables for the GPU.

The cables which I purchased were 'TGL' series which someone has told me are not actually compatible with my PSU. Is that true, and if so, which cables series do I need?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I could switch back to the original cable setup using the vales with came to see if that resolves the issue but otherwise I am at a bit of a loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sinbad56

First, we don't recommend to install output cable from other Brand, because all brands has their own pin designment. the worst case might damage your PSU or motherbored.

Second, we suggest that you keep your original setting: 1 cable with 1 connection and the 2nd cable with two connections.

When we designed GF3 1000W, we did consider that we will have this situation because of position limitation (we can't put one more 8 pin)

That's why we enhance our 6+2pin cables from 18 AWG to 16 AWG which could afford more watts.

If ther is any question, please let us know.

Have a nice day

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Visdoom

The power demand of RTX 3090 is 350W. 75W is supported from slot so 275W share to three connectors which means only around 92W (7.6A) each.

Each connector could afford around 150W so it will be ok for your RTX 3090.

For RTX 4090, our GF3 1000W has native 16pin cable to support  so you won't need to use our PCIe 6+2 connector.

• 2 months later...

@TT-Jerry

Sorry but why does the PSU come with this infographic then?

https://file.thermaltake.com/file/qig/Connect_PCIe_Cables_to_High_Power_Consumption_GPU_en.pdf

I don't see the issue with throwing in one more PCIe 6+2 connector into the package as most CPU's dont utilize the additional 4/8 Pin anyways.
Why is there no option to buy them seperately? Surely more cost effective than to launch a support case for each defect cable anyways.