• 3 weeks later...

mX83dj3.png

VOTE NOW for Adam Braithwaite and WIN PRIZES!

Hello and welcome to Project p5yche by Darwin PC!

Who am I?

My name is Adam Braithwaite, and I mod as "Darwin PC". I have been a computer enthusiast for as long as I can remember - my first computer was an awesome Amiga 600, and I was hooked from that point.

Over the years my passion for technology developed into custom gaming computer building and modding. I am privileged to have had the opportunity to work on projects with the support of major technology brands, and to have my work recognised at shows and within the modding community is a real honour.

I love building, creating and generally fiddling, so for me, modding is the perfect activity. The modding community is a great thing, and the feedback I get encourages me to push the limits with every new project.

Project p5yche

I'm very excited to take part in this competition, thanks to Thermaltake and all the sponsors for making this possible. :)

Project p5yche is named, like my other projects, after mythical gods and goddesses. Psyche was the Greek goddess of the soul.

I have some very special things planned for this mod. The most obvious first of all, is that I'll be using TWO Thermaltake Core P5 cases. These will be joined together, and will allow for some serious hardware to be built into the mod.

The plans, mods and build updates will be posted here, so check for updates!

Components:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3
Memory: Avexir Blitz 1.1 - 32GB (8x 4GB) DDR4-2400Mhz
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX
Case: Thermaltake Core P5 (2x)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 1250W Titanium
Radiator: Thermaltake Pacific RL480 (3x)

Reservoir: Thermaltake Pacific T33 (2x)
Pump: Thermaltake Pacific P1 Black D5 Pump w/ Silent Kit (2x)
Fittings: Thermaltake Pacific Chrome

Update: Build complete

Hi guys, I would like to thank Thermaltake and all the sponsors for inviting me to this competition and making this project possible. It's been challenging at times, I was hit with many delays, but got there in the end!

The finished build photos are below. I'll also post a loop fill video as soon as I finish editing it!

I hope you like what I created - Project p5yche, a twin Core P5 mod.

8fbfuewl.jpg

TLqTESvl.jpg

0UvzBPVl.jpg

B3xNk0Rl.jpg

WRsxoq8l.jpg

3vs31esl.jpg

SqjWiabl.jpg

0oIrt2wl.jpg

D38VU8Al.jpg

xIc6xz9l.jpg

ypOENJwl.jpg

JuFPclCl.jpg

R6Lem8ll.jpg

PJsrIvtl.jpg

XBXb5iZl.jpg

9RsFfYul.jpg

1TnKWCYl.jpg

G697Y9Fl.jpg

pVEo0B7l.jpg

bo2Nyqwl.jpg

rpGbjgSl.jpg

KoyoLiEl.jpg

mlPcp1pl.jpg

8b8uOcal.jpg

xdKkXCql.jpg

2Ww8wKZl.jpg

aMwFbJPl.jpg

Custom gaming computers and mods by Darwin PC
q3B7Xqsm.png

The Thermaltake Core P5 is an awesome case. What could possibly be better? How about... two of them!

3f2OQT9l.jpg

TrF1POEl.jpg

The two cases will be joined together to form a monster double Core P5. First of all I took the cases out and stripped one of them down, since it won't need any power switches etc. It also allowed me to get a good look at the structure of the frame.

klLVN07l.jpg

Here are all the parts removed:

mbXUKQkl.jpg

And here is the stripped down Core P5. It's a simple but elegant and functional design. It should be quite straightforward to work with.

lAN8gnil.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The hardware for Project p5yche arrived! Thanks to the sponsors - Thermaltake, Newegg, ASUS, Intel, Samsung and AVEXIR.

qZzo3WJl.jpg

ASUS X99 Sabertooth motherboard - great looking motherboard, I look forward to playing with this.

hQRvatHl.jpg

xpIoJFBl.jpg

3FmDsB9l.jpg

MCndDxAl.jpg

ASUS GeForce GTX 980 STRIX - really nice coolers, it will be a shame to remove them, but this beast must be watercooled!

s0CrTM8l.jpg

HvwGnsTl.jpg

2ykcEQAl.jpg

Intel Core i7-5820K

guMycAol.jpg

HC4OmSpl.jpg

SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB - this is a really gorgeous SSD, with a solid finish.

DPwOwLdl.jpg

GqNSTDTl.jpg

AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 Series Original (White LED) - heaps of RAM, the heatsinks look awesome, can't wait to see the LEDs.

d1o0NuDl.jpg

U9l6T2pl.jpg

RL50r3Gl.jpg

Mock fit of the radiator using the existing mountings, to determine placement of the other two radiators.

I1jYRtNl.jpg

To drill holes for the other radiators, I'll use a jig. This will ensure the correct relative placement of the holes, as well as giving a guide for vertical holes (since I don't have a drill press).

I had originally planned to drill and tap M3x0.5 holes, but on second thought I decided to drill 5mm holes and use a washer on the back. This will allow a little room for better fitting.

YC3H6sol.jpg

Test fitting to check the hole alignment - fits perfectly.

FGu1zSAl.jpg

Here is the jig in place, ready to drill.

dl7AKacl.jpg

I printed some templates to get the radiator positioning exactly correct. Had a slight panic when I measured the distance between holes and it was 100 mm (should be 105 mm), but luckily the calipers were reading wrong! After a quick re-zero, everything measured up perfectly.

vEkefDkl.jpg

Here are the templates all in place and ready for drilling. The circled holes will be drilled, and crossed holes will not (due to obstructions or gaps). There are still plenty of attachment points for each radiator to give a solid mount. Unfortunately it's too late to drill now (neighbours!), so I will drill tomorrow.

iQaLIOEl.jpg

A weekend of drilling!

I finished the mounting holes for the radiators. Then moved on to the points where the two Core P5s would attach to each other.

Here are the pieces marked up:

qxPULOZl.jpg

The holes on the edge will be fixed with rivets. The little screws attach the edge of the case to a corner bracket inside. Since the screw heads would prevent the cases sitting flush together, they will be removed. I originally planned to bolt through the holes on both cases to maintain the strength in the corner, but the holes don't actually line up. So four new holes within the corner bracket area will be drilled and tapped.

Here are the finished case edges:

Q14zjIOl.jpg

Marking up the mounts for the 2x D5 pumps and 2x T33 reservoirs. The pumps are slightly to the right from the reservoirs, as the pump inlet is in the centre, but the ports on the bottom of the reservoir are either side of the centre.

vm9n4Bfl.jpg

Finished drilling and ready for painting after a cleanup!

9kPI23Ll.jpg

Time to work on the hardware for the project. First up, fitting the i7-5820K and full cover block for the ASUS X99 Sabertooth.

I had to remove the thermal armour from the motherboard to fit the full cover block. Here you can see the exposed southbridge and VRMs:

e7H8TQMl.jpg

Installing the CPU:

fPGRxTxl.jpg

Here is the full cover waterblock installed:

x0j4Aj3l.jpg

It would be a shame to waste the thermal armour, so let's have a look at making it fit with the water block. Here you can see the parts that overlap:

ZD9qBzRl.jpg

Nothing a little Dremeling can't fix...

Jagi12Fl.jpg

Y73earhl.jpg

Here is the rough cut - fits nicely. Now just needs cleaning up and then time for paint:

6PJah4ul.jpg

3Ba9VKml.jpg

Painting the thermal armour for the ASUS X99 Sabertooth motherboard.

First coat of primer:

4O3BIY1l.jpg

After sanding, more primer and more sanding:

Yk3oy2yl.jpg

Final coat of paint:

8QzB3uHl.jpg

Now ready for clear coat and fitting back to the motherboard...

Cutting the backplate for the ASUS X99 Sabertooth thermal armour so it fits with the full cover water block.

Here is the part that overlaps:

BgSeYH1l.jpg

Cutting the backplate to fit:

dk5C8uel.jpg

AK2kO1Il.jpg

And the finished motherboard (minus some detailing work that will be added):

NIGEGBHl.jpg

GWT4B6Tl.jpg

Got the case powder coated white, riveted / bolted the two parts together, and started fitting the hardware to make the loop.

Here you can see some of the green detailing I've done on the motherboard and will do elsewhere, using vinyl.

Starting to come together...

FWSFKH3l.jpg

With the case assembled and hardware installed, it's time to construct the watercooling loop.

KEJbdpql.jpg

I'm using the cutting tool provided in the kit from Thermaltake. This works really well, very quick and only gives a slight burr on the inner edge of the tube, that is easy to remove.

6D1nCDDl.jpg

Started off cutting the straight runs to connect the radiators to each other.

Do6V2kWl.jpg

First bend in place - connecting the left radiator to the reservoir. The bending insert and mandrel from Thermaltake made this a breeze.

CLdcMyLl.jpg

All the tubing in place, apart from the top run from the motherboard block to the radiator. This run is actually longer than 1m (the length of the tubing pieces), so I will be using the flow indicators from Thermaltake to break up the length.

Lew6AJXl.jpg