Riing Fan LED shuts off during boot

markukx

My first time with this forum as a result of my frustration with this issue

I connected riing fans through RGB/speed controllers though the CPU_OPT  and sys_fan2 headers, which is the most efficient for cable management. However, another set for riing fans I installed it on my top mounted radiator and I connected the RGB/speed controller to sys_fan3 the fan is spinning but the RGB lights are turning off whenever I boot, which does not happen to the other fans. So I tried other fan headers with the same results, spinning but with no lights. I tried swapping controllers, and came to the conclusion specific fan headers specifically sys_fan2/3/4 and sys_fan_pump5/6 can spin the fan but cannot power the LED. Is there a setting in the BIOS to fix this.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte Z270x gaming 7, I've attached where I determined which headers work (indicated in green) and do not work (red), the one indicated in Blue are the ports the controllers are connected. I also sent a copy of this photo to Gigabyte and contacted TT support, still waiting for their replies.

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 11.11.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 11.15.38 PM.png

Hello markukx

Welcome to the forums! I will be happy to help you out on this and see if we can get those LEDs to power up.

To start things off lets make sure there is not a problem with the LEDs on the fans themselves. To do this can you connect the controllers to the PSU using the provided molex connection. This will provide sufficient steady power to rule out the variables from the fan headers themselves. If you are able to have all the LEDs turn on from there then we know that the controllers and fans are good to go.

From there once you have verified that the LEDs on the fans can power on, can you advise what power setting you have for the system fan headers in the BIOS? I have seen that sometimes if the BIOS settings for the fan headers is set to low then the controller is not provided with enough power to light up the LEDs themselves. If this is the case then you can always set the fan header to receive more power so that the adjustments will be made through the controller and not the fan header. One easy way to tell without going into the BIOS is if the fans are set to low speed and they seem to be hardly running or shut off then you will most likely need to make some changes in the BIOS for the fan headers. Hope this helps you out on resolving the issue. Let me know if there is anything else you might need some help with.

20 hours ago, TT Anthony said:

Hello markukx

Welcome to the forums! I will be happy to help you out on this and see if we can get those LEDs to power up.

To start things off lets make sure there is not a problem with the LEDs on the fans themselves. To do this can you connect the controllers to the PSU using the provided molex connection. This will provide sufficient steady power to rule out the variables from the fan headers themselves. If you are able to have all the LEDs turn on from there then we know that the controllers and fans are good to go.

From there once you have verified that the LEDs on the fans can power on, can you advise what power setting you have for the system fan headers in the BIOS? I have seen that sometimes if the BIOS settings for the fan headers is set to low then the controller is not provided with enough power to light up the LEDs themselves. If this is the case then you can always set the fan header to receive more power so that the adjustments will be made through the controller and not the fan header. One easy way to tell without going into the BIOS is if the fans are set to low speed and they seem to be hardly running or shut off then you will most likely need to make some changes in the BIOS for the fan headers. Hope this helps you out on resolving the issue. Let me know if there is anything else you might need some help with.

I've done what you suggested and still no results. So I made a video explaining what is happening. I will send a private link of the video which it can only be watched here. Take not of the fan on the top right attached on the pc exhuast that it is working perfectly on CPU_OPT header.

First Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsIAfxjC2W0

This video explains the issue when turning the computer on and the lights just blink and disappears but the fan is still turning, then I go to the BIOS and configure the fans to max speed and PWM mode. with no affect.

Second Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XlBrd2zldI

This video is what I've discovered is when you unplug the fans while the computer is on and plug back again, the fans work properly.

The second video gives me another question, could it be that there is a power spike/loss during booting that would create an unstable connection to the rgb control? if so how do we address this issue? I also sent this to gigabyte to give their opinion on this issue.