Insomnia I55 Thermaltake project - finished photos daylight

Hukkel

Herroooooo everyone. It is almost time for Insomnia I55 in august 2015 and before Computex 2015 I have been asked by Thermaltake Europe if I was interested in doing a project for them to put on display. :thumb:
Of course my ego was all over the place and I was hovering 50cm above the ground as I love doing these projects and I love being asked by brands so I said F**K YEAH! :D

The project was quite straight forward: we use the new Suppressor case, add all parts Thermaltake does like fans, PSU and all of their watercooling equipment and make something that is worth looking at.

Perfect assignment for men. Keep it simple. I can understand this.

I still had some hardware at home and for other stuff I contacted a few people I worked with before. And before I knew it this thing was on a roll.

I need to finish this project like 2 weeks from now. So I figured I should start a log about what I have been doing for the last couple of weeks since I have everything.

This will be a short log I think with rather large photo updates. I hope you will enjoy.

SfgcDc.jpg

First of all I want to thank Thermaltake and Martin in particular for the opportunity.

I have a bunch of photos of the unboxing of the new case ending in a photo of the front panel being taken apart both with the screwdriver and a saw to create something I will show you later on :)

Don't worry there will be a LOT of modding involved in updates coming later on.

Bx3Eas.jpg

DkTDb5.jpg

jdadof.jpg

nh6s35.jpg

GXfx4w.jpg

SOyI53.jpg

0ORRk2.jpg

B84tqO.jpg

MUGoKq.jpg

Souwh6.jpg

GO2Ou0.jpg

TuYGb5.jpg

xGkk6f.jpg

Hp5F2b.jpg

ZZeWmD.jpg

GTWpjR.jpg

32F9md.jpg

WRj1Sh.jpg

OUT!!! All of you!!!

podrWT.jpg

I have a rather cool (I hope) idea for the front end. I want to keep the lining and shape of the original case intact but still make its appearance different.

LqEC06.jpg

You've already allowed me to take peeks at the progress so I am excited for the next session of photos ;)

Can't wait to see how you modded the front!

Thanks Martin! I will put updates on here regularly untill it is Insomia.

If I can make it up on the Saturday I will make sure to come have a look at this! If not, will see the rest of the pics here LOL

I hope you like it when you are there :)

I had been thinking about what to do as a mod with this case. It will be on display to promote the case so I don't like to cut it up or melt it and make it unrecognisable. So the inside of the case is imprtant to me. I somehow came up with the idea to use covers that work as cover-grill-windows :D

The grills will be over the fans for air, the grill will be transparent so you can also see through them like a window and the parts that don't need seeing I will paint black.

Here is my first one. The biggest of them all for over the PSU that runs from left to right in the case. I made a design with my good friend Django, had it lasercut and then bent it using hot air.

ADQvUI.jpg

Kn2SUg.jpg

3ep68F.jpg

BfG4Mk.jpg

The first help I received was from Gigabyte BeNeLux. My awesome girlfriend B. helped me out a lot with this amazing motherboard. The Gigabyte Z97X-gaming 5. It has all the features and it has the looks to match.

bedso7.jpg

iZwUBW.jpg

5lZbqs.jpg

ilyFeT.jpg

dt3ccE.jpg

3K5P9G.jpg

tgA9u8.jpg

Thank you very much Gigabyte BeNeLux! :rock: :thumb: :clap:
And of course thank you B.!

nnig.jpg

I need to mount the pump and its top and the reservoirs to the backpanel. But it is full of cable holes and such and I have almost no need for them. So I made a backpanel cover out of plexiglass. It will be painted black eventually.
I made it so that the panel is fitted to the backpanel, but for heavy things such as the pump and one side of the reservoirs the mounting screws for that will go through the plate and the backplate so it is the case itself that is holding them up. Sounded a bit more safe to me.

uidDQy.jpg

I bent the left side of the panel so it ends up under the motherboard.
There will be cuts in it to accomodate for cables and wiring (24 pin and sata cables).

p7RvWy.jpg

t7Mmph.jpg

Modding is magical

1VJ3Wh.jpg

7RKzzc.jpg

d6IguQ.jpg

I was getting such a positive response on Facebook and I was liking the outcome of the PSU shroud so much I decided to take the theme further and also make a front and rear fan grill using the same grill design. Again drawn with Djangosoe and lasercut and then bent using hot air from a heatgun.

yxNbbZ.jpg

4aht9j.jpg

ye9tSL.jpg

IvqdrO.jpg

pn76d0.jpg

IegoBr.jpg

pbsMkR.jpg

I made a bracket to fit the GPU vertically so it will be right in front of the window.

Here I have painted the font and rear grill. I cannot paint the PSU shroud yet because it still needs holes for cables and tubing. I couldn't wait to see how it would look with the fans turned on so I tried the rear fan. The biggest conclusion is that the photo does not show what the real deal looks like for sure.

PLe0Au.jpg

fJZ43r.jpg

vytbbg.jpg

SvvhHV.jpg

26eBXv.jpg

WHqFys.jpg

CT0HQo.jpg

4dYsnb.jpg

GeEslN.jpg

Since I was putting the GPU vertical anyway I had some spare room. And I needed some spare room as well as I had no place to fit the SSDs. And it is like SSDs were made to fit exactly there :D

I will be putting 2 SSDs here and a 3rd one elsewhere in the build.

Since it will be at a show there will be a plexiglass window in front of these to keep them from getting "unvoluntarily taken".

hxjkqC.jpg

nQZ2Zh.jpg

WwYPmG.jpg

I want to show off this card now.
I have been lucky enough to be able to work with KFA2 during "Game hard, Fold Harder". They were kind enough to also support this project with the KFA2 GTX 980 SuperOverClock

Very nice backplate as well. And the colours on the cooler match perfectly with the theme of the project with dark red, black and grey.

yljTy6.jpg

w1ycII.jpg

d3EV6M.jpg

eHsOcW.jpg

GIcEDj.jpg

kuw6Gx.jpg

ROxL8Z.jpg

Thank you very much KFA2 and especially my good friend G.B.

sjvSH4.jpg

For this project HyperX again showed their support by putting in a set of 4*8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 HyperX BEAST modules. With the nice black PCB they are rocking nowadays. :thumb:
And 3 of their 3K 120GB SSDs. Both fitting the colours of this theme perfectly.

niPv0A.jpg

aExXVV.jpg

MslrWn.jpg

Thank you very much HyperX! :clap: And especially K.J. and E.B. for this amazing set of hardware.

g800h.jpg

Onwards with some more plexi work :)

First off the small window for over the rear SSDs. This is there to protect the SSDs from people that like the ones too much that are fitted to the rear of this project. I tried to somehow keep some lines from the inside involved in this.

I polished up all edges of the window.

LBXaXr.jpg

UR5R8F.jpg

D6vQZg.jpg

Next up another piece of acrylic. This time for the mounting of a single HyperX SSD. I tried to make the shape of the paintjob resemble the X on the SSDs. This will be mounted behind the motherboard tray with a doorwindow so it is always visible.

IOnS8i.jpg

CfW5Mw.jpg

This is a short video of the new front of the case.

The stock front is black plastic and has a sound dampening layer behind it.

Like I showed in my first update in this log I took the front off and sawed out the sound dampening layer. I replaced the front big panel with a special LED black plexiglass one that changed colour based on the light behind it. I then painted the rear of it black and lasered out the gfx Django drew for me (big thanks like always Django). Then put a clear plexi panel behind it with a pattern lasered into it and a red LED strip around it.

This makes it so that when the PC is turned off the front is just about black. And the gfx only show up when the PC has been turned on.

For those that might see it directly. Yes I have been influenced by the new In INWIN case with the red hex front. The technique behind it is different, but I liked it a lot and I thought it would suit this system a lot. Especially with the TT esports logo and the TT in the bottom end. The front stays clean like this, no opening for fans or grill. But still it looks different :)

Aceq49SsBlU

As always Mayhems was kind enough to provide this project with their coolant. This time I wanted to try Aurora for the first time. I went with Aurora red (duh). The colour was pretty much spot on from the bottle.

sV2HcI.jpg

2cuDjk.jpg

W1n22I.jpg

Thank you so much Mayhems and especially Michael for helping me out with projects.

jPzp6V.jpg

I spent 2 evenings creating the loop by cutting and bending the Thermaltake PETG. I made no photos of that

But here is the finished loop.

39RVyL.jpg