[GUIDE] How to connect up to 6 Riing RGB fans in 1 controller

xoma262

Good Time of the day everyone!

I would like to share my own experience of connecting Riing RGB fans together in 1 controller.

This guide will divide in two parts: One of them is how to connect 4 fans in 1 controller, using only your hands and pin extractor (or any thin tools like needle). Second part will be about connecting up to 6 fans using same tools as in first case plus 4-pin Molex cable and electric tape (or shrinking tube or soldering iron + tape).

A little Preface:

Why I decided to divide in two parts? The answer is very simple. MB in most cases provides 12V @1Amp. Usually it will run up to 3 fans at max speed without any drawback (loosing RPM). However in some cases you can connect 4-th and you won't notice any difference. 

Firstly, (too obvious) power off your PC. (Don't forget that you are doing at your own risk, this is not official Thermaltake guide)

We need tool to extract pins from the head. You can use basically anything thin enough to fit a little hole on top of the head.

I used this tool: 

post-104336-0-50097300-1469018430_thumb.jpg

The idea is very simple, we need to extract pins from one head and insert them into another head, so there will be two fans goes into 1 4-pin head. There is enough room to fit 2 wires in 1 head slot.

post-104336-0-01734900-1469018410_thumb.jpg

See little holes? Press on them and pull wires. Very simple.

post-104336-0-43088900-1469018418_thumb.jpg

post-104336-0-40215200-1469018439_thumb.jpg

Do you see that there is enough space in the socket? We need to insert each extracted wire into proper slot. It would go snug and fit secure. 

post-104336-0-02900900-1469018448_thumb.jpg

post-104336-0-14231000-1469018457_thumb.jpg

At the end we will get this: 

post-104336-0-39148200-1469018522_thumb.jpg

Done! Just plug it back to controller and you are good to go!  :D

Video to demonstrate: 

https://youtu.be/jn-x7rH3Pwg

Second part! 

Connecting up to 6 fans. 

We have to follow same process as before, BUT the big difference is that we need 4-pin molex cable. 

How it works: 4-pin PWM MB port has 4 pins (oh man, thanks Cap. Obvious!) 

You can see pinout below: 

post-104336-0-54328600-1469020564.png

We will utilize power from Molex cable (it's peripheral cable goes directly in PSU) and PWM signal from Motherboard. 

From the power cable, which goes with fans, you need to extract only two pins +12V and GND .Other 2 leave in the head.

Extracted pins you need to connect to molex +12V and GND correspondingly.

Here is pinout: 

post-104336-0-93389200-1469020565.jpg

Just in case: MOLEX has 2 grounds and it doesn't matter which to connect. 

What we'll get at the end: 

post-104336-0-02323200-1469018363_thumb.jpg

post-104336-0-35362900-1469018374_thumb.jpg

post-104336-0-18970600-1469018387_thumb.jpg

post-104336-0-68855300-1469018402_thumb.jpg

Just plug PWM to 4-pin MB fan port and Molex ... to molex, lol. 

No video yet, but it works :P

If you'll have questions, don't hesitate to ask. Maybe I just forgot to mention something... 

Cheers!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello

I used this instruction to connect 4 RGB fans to one hub but there is one problem - all colours except from white work correctly but white colour flashes. Because of this the 256 mode also flashes and restarts. I was thinking (this is really a wild guess) that the reason for this could be power shortage (white uses the most power because all lights are used to mix all three colours?). I also noticed that the two fans which share the connector rotate slower than the other two fans.

Does anyone has this problem as well? Any idea what might be the cause?

1 hour ago, Qlemens said:

Hello

I used this instruction to connect 4 RGB fans to one hub but there is one problem - all colours except from white work correctly but white colour flashes. Because of this the 256 mode also flashes and restarts. I was thinking (this is really a wild guess) that the reason for this could be power shortage (white uses the most power because all lights are used to mix all three colours?). I also noticed that the two fans which share the connector rotate slower than the other two fans.

Does anyone has this problem as well? Any idea what might be the cause?

Even though white color draws the most power (255,255,255), it unlikely to cause any power shortage.

Unless (1) you did not use separate power feed directly from the PSU, (2) your motherboard has some issues with power delivery through PWM, (3) your PSU has some issues with 12V rail (unlikely but can happen), or (4) you just have a faulty controller.

On some systems I observed loss of RPM without using separate feed, so ... What's your setup? 

Just to be clear, I do not need to use separate power feed when using 4 fans with one controller?

My MOBO is Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming-K3-rev-10, I connected the controller to SysFan module.

I am using Chieftec CFT-750-CS as PSU.

Since I have another controller I will test it later and let you know.

3 minutes ago, Qlemens said:

Just to be clear, I do not need to use separate power feed when using 4 fans with one controller?

My MOBO is Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming-K3-rev-10, I connected the controller to SysFan module.

I am using Chieftec CFT-750-CS as PSU.

Since I have another controller I will test it later and let you know.

It is more like case by case situation with 4 fans and sep. feed. 

Also check your bios. I know gigabyte defaults fans to 0.5 rpm. It might affect.

Turns out it was too low RPM setting.

After I installed Gigabyte Information Viewer and manually assigned slightly higher RPMs the flashing stopped. Fans are still very silent.

Now when I turn on the computer the fans flash (only when set to white) and after Windows starts and Gigabyte App Center starts the flashing stops. I am guessing that if I turn up RPMs a little in BIOS it will also work.

Hi again

After long testing session and altering all available settings in BIOS I came to conclusion that I have to use extra power directly from PSU, like the author of this topic suggested.

I am pretty sure that in my case (MOBO Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming-K3-rev-10) more power is avaliable from CPU fan headers than from SYS fan headers. When I connect fan hub (with up to four fans) to CPU_OPT it will always start correctly, LED flashes and stays on - always. However when I connect the same hub to SYS header its more like 50/50 chance that the LED will stay on.

And here's the fun part - it doesn't matter if I connect four or just two fans to the controller. It seems SYS header does not offer enough power on my MOBO (which is weird because this is quite expensive and new MOBO). Changing PWM setting in BIOS to max does not help with anything.

BTW, can anyone explain how to extract 12v & GRD from SATA cable? Yellow is 12v and black is GRD?

• 1 year later...
  • TT CPM unpinned this topic