Core V1 Owner's Club

Tt Leo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey All

Recently completed a build with this chassis.

A quick thermal observation after running a GPU benchmark on a blower style eVGA 1070 all day:

I found that the large 200MM fan has the odd effect of increasing GPU temps!  That's right, running the 200MM fan actually increases GPU temps by 5-6C.  I've tried switching the perforated panel on the right side (near the SDD/HDD cages) to the top, but this only improved things by about 1-1.5C.

My fluid dynamics theory is that heat "pools" and is trapped just under the top left bracket with nowhere to go.  The front 200MM fan actually pushes this heat further into the corner, giving it less chance to dissipate.  Shutting the fan off removes this positive differential allowing that circulating hot air just above the GPU heat sink to bleed off into the case.  I found the GPU to hover in the 78C range with front 200mm fan on, and 72C with fan off.

Now, the solution is NOT to turn the 200MM off - other components significantly heat up when this is off.  CPU and PCH climbed about 8-10C with the 200MM off.  It's not a good situation.

Thermaltake has some work to improve this case for blower-style GPUs like mine.  I think a good start would be to significantly perforate the sheet metal at the top left corner and into the acrylic window.  Reduce the size of the acrylic window if necessary.  I may try a mod, but I'm afraid of butchering the case, and the problem won't be solved by just putting a few dozen holes in the top panel.  The overall chassis needs better ventilation above the GPU side of the case.

I should note, I have not yet installed two 80MM exhaust fans - I have a pair coming in on Sunday and I will report back if this significantly helps.  You may say "duh bro, you need input and output" - and you might be right.  But my goal all along has been to reduce fans to keep the whole setup as quiet as possible.  Running this GPU under load in the upper 70s isn't terrible, but I would prefer it run cooler and quieter for better OC headroom.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Came here just to say that I, for one, would LOVE to see an update to the V1/F1 designs. The chambered design is awesome, but optimizing space for perhaps SFX PSU and newer, smaller drives could save some volume on the case while also allowing for the largest GPUs and maybe even some larger exhaust fans on the rear.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/16/2016 at 8:55 AM, usafballer said:

Hey All

Recently completed a build with this chassis.

A quick thermal observation after running a GPU benchmark on a blower style eVGA 1070 all day:

I found that the large 200MM fan has the odd effect of increasing GPU temps!  That's right, running the 200MM fan actually increases GPU temps by 5-6C.  I've tried switching the perforated panel on the right side (near the SDD/HDD cages) to the top, but this only improved things by about 1-1.5C.

My fluid dynamics theory is that heat "pools" and is trapped just under the top left bracket with nowhere to go.  The front 200MM fan actually pushes this heat further into the corner, giving it less chance to dissipate.  Shutting the fan off removes this positive differential allowing that circulating hot air just above the GPU heat sink to bleed off into the rufus case.  I found the GPU to hover in the 78C range with front 200mm fan on, and 72C with fan off. rufus

Now, the solution is NOT to turn the 200MM off - other components significantly heat up when this is off.  CPU and PCH climbed about 8-10C with the 200MM off.  It's not a good situation.

Thermaltake has some work to improve this case for blower-style GPUs like mine.  I think a good start would be to significantly perforate the sheet metal at the top left corner and into the acrylic window.  Reduce the size of the acrylic window if necessary.  I may try a mod, but I'm afraid of butchering the case, and the problem won't be solved by just putting a few dozen holes in the top panel.  The overall chassis needs better ventilation above the GPU side of the case.

I should note, I have not yet installed two 80MM exhaust fans - I have a pair coming in on Sunday and I will report back if this significantly helps.  You may say "duh bro, you need input and output" - and you might be right.  But my goal all along has been to reduce fans to keep the whole setup as quiet as possible.  Running this GPU under load in the upper 70s isn't terrible, but I would prefer it run cooler and quieter for better OC headroom.

is it possible to put the motherboard with the size 8.9in x 6.8in, 22.6cm x 17.3cm

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 12:21 PM, vgl2000 said:

is it possible to put the motherboard with the size 8.9in x 6.8in, 22.6cm x 17.3cm

No, this is a miniITX case, your motherboard is microATX. If you like the design of the Core V1 but insist on a microATX board, you could check out the Core V21.

I'm checking in here because I have a selection of parts for my new system coming in soon, including a Core V1. Seeing all these modded V1s is very inspiring, but I'll start with just building a normal system in it. :) 

I've tinkered with PC's in the past, but this is the very first time I start from scratch.  

Goals: Keep It Simple Stupid!, upgradability, keeping my 2 HDMI panels + option to add 1 later, reduce noise without compromising airflow, performance/power-efficiency/price.

Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Black
PSU: CoolerMaster MWE Gold 550 Full Modular
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
CPU-cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth
GPU: Gigabyte GTX1650 Mini OC 4G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 2x8GB
M.2 SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB

The Core V1 combined with a fully modular 550W PSU ensures easy building and future upgradability. The large and slow 200mm intake fan is also a great start at creating good airflow without introducing a lot of noise. 
I considered the AMD Ryzen 5 3400G APU, however I believe more cores are the future and the price made stepping up to Ryzen 5 2600 + discrete graphics obvious. 
Simple doesn't mean compromise nowadays, so I decided to use the best PCIe3 M.2 drive on the market and 16GB of DDR-3600 memory for a fast and snappy system.

Unfortunately a beginners mistake couldn't be entirely avoided... 
I simply selected the cheapest graphics card that provides me with 2 HDMI + 1 DP output. Low power consumption and no extra connection made it seem ideal. Little did I know its single revvy 80mm fan always spins at a minimum of 35% no matter the set fan curve, singlehandedly making the system loud and whiny. DO NOT BUY!
In hindsight I could have spent just a little more on a good RX580 card...

I have an idea how to make this build a bit more unique, ànd muffle the GPU-noise without choking, but that's for later.

01Parts1.jpg

02Parts2.jpg

03PSUmounted.jpg

04GPUview.jpg

05CPUview.jpg

06Topview.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...