Riing Trio compatibility

qlooney

Hi,

I'm interested in the new TT Riing Trio fans. But in the product page I saw this info:

*DO NOT connect Riing Trio fans to other TT RGB PLUS controllers

what about the TT Sync Controller? is it compatible? because I'm planning on using 6 Trio fans, and TT sync controller seems to be the perfect choice since you can connect up to 9 fans. I don't think the included Riing Trio controller is the solution as it can only be used with 5 fans (the recommendation in the official website) and adding one more controller just for 1 more fan seems a bit overkill.

Hi,

Hope to clear this concern up for you.

The TT SYNC controller is not the same as the controllers for the Riing Plus products and the Riing Trio products.

Riing Plus = Riing Plus Controller (Thermaltake Software)

Riing Trio = Riing Trio Controller (Thermaltake Software)

TT SYNC Controller = Support all Plus family products including the NEW Riing trio fans. (HUB to connect to MB for SYNC control, no Thermaltake Software)

It is correct you cannot use a Riing Plus "Controller" with a Riing Trio fan. It should never be an issue either as each fan pack comes with its controller offering 5 ports. So you either have 2 free spots when buying a 3-pack or if you get the 5-pack the controller is then filled anyways.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns and I apologize if the message was confusing on our website.

please CMIIW, suppose I want to use 6 Trio fans, and use the Thermaltake software, then the best way to do it is to daisy chain 2 Riing Trio Controller (if I buy 2 of the 3-pack I'll have 2 controller, one from each pack). And if I want to use 6 Trio fans and connect them to the MB (without Thermaltake software), I can just connect those fans to TT sync controller? Did I get that right?

10 hours ago, qlooney said:

please CMIIW, suppose I want to use 6 Trio fans, and use the Thermaltake software, then the best way to do it is to daisy chain 2 Riing Trio Controller (if I buy 2 of the 3-pack I'll have 2 controller, one from each pack). And if I want to use 6 Trio fans and connect them to the MB (without Thermaltake software), I can just connect those fans to TT sync controller? Did I get that right?

Hi,

Yes, you can do both technically to have like a "Dual-zone" RGB setup. Whatever will be on the TT SYNC controller will have to be controlled through the MB software and then for the Trio's connected to the controller, yes, you will need 2 controllers for 6 fans (will have room to add more stuff later as well like LED strips or other plus stuff we offer as well, you can likely add more than you would ever need with this setup for RGB.

When using fans on the TT SYNC controller, if you want to use PWM, dont forget to plug in the PWM cable included with the sync controller and then connect to a PWM header on your motherboard. Fan curves and all that will then need to be setup in the bios or through MB software if available.

On 9/26/2018 at 12:30 AM, qlooney said:

Hi,

I'm interested in the new TT Riing Trio fans. But in the product page I saw this info:

what about the TT Sync Controller? is it compatible? because I'm planning on using 6 Trio fans, and TT sync controller seems to be the perfect choice since you can connect up to 9 fans. I don't think the included Riing Trio controller is the solution as it can only be used with 5 fans (the recommendation in the official website) and adding one more controller just for 1 more fan seems a bit overkill.

Hello,

Just wanted to follow up on the statement you found on our website. We have now updated it to be more clear.

As we confirmed the proper voltage requirements, up to 5 Riing Trio fans can be used, I have personal done more, but I would use with caution to have proper safety for your system always.

https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Cooler/Cooling_Accessory_/Fan_Controller_/C_00003143/TT_Sync_Controller_TT_Premium_Edition/design.htm

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, qlooney said:

forgot one thing, what about compatibility with motherboard rgb software? Like ASUS Aura sync, MSI Mystic light, Gigabyte RGB fusion, and AsRock Polychrome rgb?

This is going to be dependent on the LED QTY that the motherboard supports. 

For example, ASUS boards can only do 60 LED max, per channel and Gigabyte can do 120. 

They have options in the bios/software to show the MAX LED's supported. This can be a limitation, but nothing we can do about it until new chipsets come out to support more and I know its coming, but whatever you have now will be only that unless they update their software somehow to add more support.

• 5 months later...

Okay, so I've just ordered 9 riing trio fans, is it even possible to have my MoBo (Asus Maximus 11 formula) control the LEDs for all of them with Aura sync? (Can I plug them all into 2 Sync controllers or something?) If not, is it possible to control all 9 (not through the MoBo) by daisy chaining the controllers included in the box?

Edited by CNes
Missing detail

6 hours ago, CNes said:

Okay, so I've just ordered 9 riing trio fans, is it even possible to have my MoBo (Asus Maximus 11 formula) control the LEDs for all of them with Aura sync? (Can I plug them all into 2 Sync controllers or something?) If not, is it possible to control all 9 (not through the MoBo) by daisy chaining the controllers included in the box?

I can't find the source for it, but I know I have seen that Asus Aura Sync is limited to around 130 addressable LEDs per header. So you could try two Sync Controllers on two 5V headers, if your motherboard has two. If not, you may find this thread useful (see post 13):

The five port controllers included with the Riing Trio fans are able to be daisy chained (the software can use up to 16 of those controllers). I'm assuming you're ordering three of the 3 packs. You should only need to use two controllers, then. When using the included controllers you must use Thermaltake's software for controlling the lights and fan speeds.

There is another thread where someone asked about running two Sync Controllers each on their own 5V header, and I believe a Thermaltake representative replied, but I cannot recall where it was. It sounded like it was possible.

My understanding is that the LED limit is per 5V header. So each 5V header would support the 130 (or however much it was) addressable LEDs. So in theory if you had two TT Sync controllers you could plug each into a 5V header and have the ability to control 260 addressable LEDs. 

If you do have two 5V headers, contact ASUS support and get some insight from them about it before moving forward.

As for trying to connect two Sync Controllers to one 5V header. The thread I linked showed how a member was able to have the signal properly split and sent to two TT Sync controllers. They had more than 9 fans, but my thought is that being your 9 Trios will have too many LEDs, if you split them between two controllers it should pan out. Though I'm guessing you'll lose some individuality of the fans; everything applied to port 1 on controller 1 would be applied to port 1 on controller 2, for example. You may want to contact the member who made that post for more details.

I'm not sure what you mean by connect a sync controller and fan hub? Do you mean the included 5 port fan hub with the controller? 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone use 9 Riing Trios with the TT RGB Plus controller and software?  Does it work?  Can preset patterns that move from fan to fan move across all 9? 

My understanding is that the controller that comes in the box with the Riing Trio is the SAME controller that comes in the box with the Riing Plus.  That leaves me wondering what is meant by 

*It is recommended to connect up to 1 controller and 5 Riing Trio fans on one peripheral cable (Molex) only.

I understandably do not want to buy 10 Riing Trio fans only to find that only 5 can be used because the other 5 cannot be connected to another TT RGB PLUS controller.  I have 1 five volt cable that has 3 MOLEX connectors, 3 SATA power cables that can have a  SATA to MOLEX adapter put on it, and 24 Amp 5 v rail.  I am betting each cable is rated for at least 24 amps and that if the total across all MOLEX/SATA cables exceeds that it will shutdown the rail. 

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I currently have a Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition CPU Cooler, I would like to add an additional Thermaltake Riing Plus 14 RGB Tt Premium Edition Triple Pack- CL-F056-PL14SW-A.

How do I go about connecting the two?

Having said that, I would much prefer to purchase the Riing Trio 14 RGB Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition (3-Fan Pack)  for my case, is this compatible with my above CPU cooler hub?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2018 at 6:00 PM, ThermalMike said:

Hello,

Just wanted to follow up on the statement you found on our website. We have now updated it to be more clear.

As we confirmed the proper voltage requirements, up to 5 Riing Trio fans can be used, I have personal done more, but I would use with caution to have proper safety for your system always.

https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Cooler/Cooling_Accessory_/Fan_Controller_/C_00003143/TT_Sync_Controller_TT_Premium_Edition/design.htm

image.png

Okay I did some research. ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero 3-pin 5V RGB headers can connect up to 300 individually addressable RGB LEDs. So if I have the sync controller premium can I connect 6 or 7 Riing Trio fans to it leaving 3 or 2 ports on the TT sync premium controller free? I want to run 7 Riing Trio's to the tt sync hub so i can have ara sync control.

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2018 at 2:28 PM, qlooney said:

please CMIIW, suppose I want to use 6 Trio fans, and use the Thermaltake software, then the best way to do it is to daisy chain 2 Riing Trio Controller (if I buy 2 of the 3-pack I'll have 2 controller, one from each pack). And if I want to use 6 Trio fans and connect them to the MB (without Thermaltake software), I can just connect those fans to TT sync controller? Did I get that right

I wanted to ask, Can I sync my riing duo with riing trio with the controller in the box?

1 hour ago, MrButler said:
On 9/27/2018 at 1:28 AM, qlooney said:

please CMIIW, suppose I want to use 6 Trio fans, and use the Thermaltake software, then the best way to do it is to daisy chain 2 Riing Trio Controller (if I buy 2 of the 3-pack I'll have 2 controller, one from each pack). And if I want to use 6 Trio fans and connect them to the MB (without Thermaltake software), I can just connect those fans to TT sync controller? Did I get that right

I wanted to ask, Can I sync my riing duo with riing trio with the controller in the box?

You can plug the Duos into the Trio controller but you can't plug the Trios into the Duo's controller.