Riing Plus 12 LED RGB Fans not detected

Calipolis

I bought  the TT Riing Plus 12 LED RGB fans and  installed them in my new system. They are spinning and lighting up, but in the software they are not detected. I can't select a Hub number in the upper left corner. The fans are shown as 0 rpm.

The internal USB 2.0 header works fine with everything else i connect to it. The motherboard I use is the Asus Mamimus IX ROG Formula.

Does anyone have an idea why this is?

post-118550-0-06833000-1487591527_thumb.png

Yeah tell me about it, the price is through the roof, but I had a breakthrough somehow when messing around with the power on I connected 5 of my fans to the controller that was set to be number 2 in the chain and I got readings from those 5, the sixth is plugged into a controller setup as 1 in the chain and its not detected, make no sense at all, I have also tried setting the switched to other numbers, still just comes up as nothing but the 2 works.

I am having the same exact issue, and can't even change any RGB colors or see any RPM info. It's like the hub isn't even recognized. I'll take it a step further for you guys so you don't waste your time like I have. I have the luxury that I didn't have to buy these fans and I am testing them. I would be #### off to spend 100 dollars on these fans with no software functionality.

I know a few things here that are interesting and may shed some light and may lead to a fix but it's not the entire picture of the problem. People keep thinking the USB 2.0 header is and when they run into this problem but its simply not true. I too have the Riing plus fan in my system now with 0 RPM and no controller showing and 0 RPM! I have tried several different system types as well. Here is the interesting part, The old Riing premium fans had a system file called HID, and if you ran this in Windows 8 Compatability settings allowed the software to work until la reboot. This is missing from the Riing Plus software suite! I also noticed to shed some light this would work on regular Windows 10 with the old software in Windows 8 Compatability, but when I upgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary update the software broke altogether. Save yourself the trouble though I formatted my system and tried regular Windows 10 to test the Riing Plus, and this still gives the same ####results of unresponsive software.

I am starting to think my HUB is bad, and have requested a new one for testing, this is possible but unlikely as the Fans are powered up and spin and work, it's just the software not communicating with the hub. The other interesting bit of information is this software was built around Hardware monitor, but I was unable to edit any .ini information to see if I could get the software working.

I'm really confused how you can sell a product with the software as the main selling point but have that be the biggest fault of the product. If you guys have heard back or have any more information let me know, I'm trying to see if any other version of the software exists. At this point I'm thinking my HUB is bad but I'm really not 100% sure of that, considering I see other people here with the same problems.

I allready replied to Jedson via PM, but hopefully can help some more:

Hi Jedson, I actually got them working this afternoon! The mobo I use only has one USB 2.0 header. But as I wrote, everything else I conncted to it, like my Corsair AIO worked just fine. I then connected the fans to my old system, installed the software and everything worked. So I knew the hardware wasn't the problem. Installing it on the old system I noticed, that the TT-Software also installed "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) - 14.0.24215". And I was quite sure that it didn't do this on my newer system. So i checked if this was installed on the newer system and it was.

And here comes the imo crucial part: was your antivirus blocking the installation of the TT-Software? Mine was and even though I reinstalled the TT-Software I never reinstalled the Microsoft Visual... software. So I uninstalled everything, both the TT-Software and the Microsoft one, turned of my antivirus, installed the TT-Software, which also installed the Microsoft Visual C++...and eventually it worked!  :D

I really hope this solves the problem for you aswell! Let me know!

As a sidenote: nobody from TT responded to me on my ticket i wrote them on this site, the thread I posted on this forum or the german support - really a shame considering how much these #### things cost!

@rdonlick3: I allready switched my hub to No. 2 before I read your post and before all the un- and reinstalling I described above. But simply switching from 1 to 2 didn't do it for me - maybe working for Jedson!

I got an official response back from Thermaltake for everyone wondering what the problem is. The micro b to USB 9 pin cables are too short on the micro b end to make contact to the hub, they are going to offer replacement and if you just try another micro b cable like a phone one, this should fix everyone's issue.

Ok so heres the thing though, I have the controller cable (USB 2 to 2x Micro) going from the MB to both my Hubs, why is one hub reading, should I try to remove the outside casing from the Hub thats not working as 1 in the chain, because number 2 in the controller chain is having no issues. I don't think C++ is my issue because that installed and I only have malwarebytes on the system currently, it's literally something to do with the second hub. I am also wondering is the split micro usb to usb 2 the cord to be using or should I just have that going to 1 HUB and the connector going to the other, idk its #### me off regardless when it's 6 fans for 200 dollars, if only someone else had some decent RGB's with SP

As crazy as it sounds I fixed my problem by taking apart the controller and then removing the excess glue from the behind the USB connection and then using then connecting everything without the plastic shell. I actually mounted the hub without its cover to my case. I think the cover is causing issues with some of the connections.

Plastic cover on = Hub not working and no software reading
Plastic cover off = Hub working and software working as well.

After verifying the software worked with the cover off I put the cover back on and found it didn't work. I just mount the naked hub to my case and all is good now!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This is somewhat off-topic as it deals with non-PLUS version (the older RIING software controlled fans). However, we have out of 5 packs (3 fans in each) had to exchange 2 USB controllers. We've had other issues as well as posted.

If you have problems picking up the USB controller - it may very well be busted.

Guys TT is aware of the issue and I work with them frequently! They are issuing new cables and controllers with people affected by the problem. They had a problem during manufacturing where the cables do interfere and don't reach enough wit the housing on the controller and the USB cable doesn't seat correctly to make a connection. They have made it longer and fixed the housing.

• 3 weeks later...

but the software from TT website cannot run at all for me. i tried removing the case and removing most of the glue. now its really weird for my case.

the software in my PC when i launced it doesn't open. but the software is processing when i open task manager and check.

and when i open teh ring push software on my phone it can detect the hardware and software. but nothing can be control.

and when i end task from my pc the phone cannot detect the software anymore.

but when i turn the software back on again it is running in task manager but the problem is still the same. no window pop up. 

so it is only running in the back ground and my phone can detect it. 

I dont understand why the software cannot open at all? but my iphone can detect it.

its really hard to put it in words. this is the shittiest fan fullstop.

i dont think sending me a new control can solve my software problem.

or the software is not compatible with Ryzen or my Asus ROG Crosshair vi AM4 motherboard or not compatible with windows 10?

• 2 weeks later...

but the software from TT website cannot run at all for me. i tried removing the case and removing most of the glue. now its really weird for my case.

the software in my PC when i launced it doesn't open. but the software is processing when i open task manager and check.

and when i open teh ring push software on my phone it can detect the hardware and software. but nothing can be control.

and when i end task from my pc the phone cannot detect the software anymore.

but when i turn the software back on again it is running in task manager but the problem is still the same. no window pop up. 

so it is only running in the back ground and my phone can detect it. 

I dont understand why the software cannot open at all? but my iphone can detect it.

its really hard to put it in words. this is the shittiest fan fullstop.

i dont think sending me a new control can solve my software problem.

or the software is not compatible with Ryzen or my Asus ROG Crosshair vi AM4 motherboard or not compatible with windows 10?

Hi!

I'm having the same issue as you with the same parts also. Thermaltake AU told me it's a software conflict between riing and ryzen and that they're working on a fix. It had been a month and still nothing..

Have you fixed your issue by any chance?

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. I have been in contact with Thermaltake Support and they keep sending me to Asus Support saying there is an issue with the USB connection. Asus has repeatedly told me that the problem is not on their end. I am getting sick of the back and forth and wish I never bought the fans in the first place. I have an Asus ROG Crosshair VI motherboard with a Ryzen 7 1800x CPU. I have submitted two RMA requests for the controllers hoping that might fix the problem. I am not confident. Does anyone have any further suggestions?

If I disconnect the USB connections on the controllers then the software will open. If I plug them in it freezes and crashes. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 10:45 AM, shawley64 said:

I am having the same issue. I have been in contact with Thermaltake Support and they keep sending me to Asus Support saying there is an issue with the USB connection. Asus has repeatedly told me that the problem is not on their end. I am getting sick of the back and forth and wish I never bought the fans in the first place. I have an Asus ROG Crosshair VI motherboard with a Ryzen 7 1800x CPU. I have submitted two RMA requests for the controllers hoping that might fix the problem. I am not confident. Does anyone have any further suggestions?

If I disconnect the USB connections on the controllers then the software will open. If I plug them in it freezes and crashes. Any ideas?

I gave up and RMA'd the whole set. Have the same setup as you but a 1700 with the same symptoms. 

• 1 year later...

I have had multiple issues with these fans

! sync controller had 1 pmw cable when it should of had 3

2 some fans do not properly plug inn all way 

3 software never works right

I have 5 120mm fans 4 on cooler push pull config 1 on case rear and one 200mm on side fans work but lights barely light up and are uncontrollable contacted support 5 times once ignored no solution to problem and no effort to fix the problem . the last message was sorry we could not help you well that's just great tt 200 dollars later someone should put civil suit on you for selling usless product furthermore I no longer trust your cooling solution on a 4000 dollar computer. bottom line tt does not stand behind their product or support their customers best of luck to you all a 4  pin fan/light combination should not be this difficult to install in plug in play market . instead of a helping solution no effort on tt part to solve my issue  also plugging a ussb connector in and out with pc running is worst solution to a problem one wrong pin touch and your mb is fragged I have rocks in my driveway smarter than your techs