Tt Leo

• 5 months later...

Got mine a few days ago in the mail and im really disappointed of this case i upgraded from a core v51 to the 71 due to the TG side panel and my v51 side panel got damaged couldn't find a replacement so i decided to upgrade after removing the drive bays i have a found a little defect i can care less aobut this minor defect it won't affect it at all but the power button is a huge issue Resized_20200807_174131.jpg.5c975c1e65f371333207961b7b9afe3c.jpg

also after removing all the case fans and disconnecting the wires from the fan controller i found out that the power button will not press unless the front cover is off so if i do put it together i won't be able to turn the PC on unless i remove the front cover did i receive a defective case ?

https://youtu.be/Wk6_T3xmIRw link to a video sorry for bad quality 

On 8/7/2020 at 6:44 PM, View71 said:

photo certainly looks like a refurbished/pre used case - not new!

yea i'm thinking its a refurbished case i purchased it from Amazon so they are sending in a replacement at no cost but the power button was really odd thing after i removed the HDD rack the drive bay for the extra room i noticed the flakes in the paint which that can happen from multiple reasons, after removing the fans and disconnecting them from the fan controller up top i did have to unscrew the little circuit board to remove the wire that was sitting under it and i placed it right back in its spot, i didn't honestly test the power button prior to that to see if it even presses in but after i put it back together i figured out that the button is not working, so after ordering a replacement i put everything back to where it was originally and the button still doesn't work so we will see when the replacement arrives, also while ordering this item there's no indication of the condition if NEW or USED / Refurbished, on the replacement order it does state that the condition of the case is NEW so we will see hopefully the replacement will be in a better condition  / new case arrived seems to be in a way better condition and the button works perfect now time to switch everything over to the new case

• 2 months later...

I'm about to build my first system, and to do so in my new Core V71!

I know nothing about fan control, and googling Guides/Tutorials didn't help much, so please help me.

I'm considering replacing all the stock fans and populating all fan positions with either fans, or an AIO (probably on the top; I know the AIO will come with it's own control solution).  
I plan to prioritize function over aesthetics, so I wonder:
Does anyone know if 200mm Noctuas will fit in front (and top?)?
If not, will other 200mm options fit?  (A dozen years ago I had fit issues when trying to replace a stock 200mm fan on a TT case.)

The manual says 
"Fan speed and light controller are only compatible with built in 200mm LED fans. To avoid on damaging the circuit board, please do not connect it with other fans."
Does this mean that I'll be using a separate fan-controller to control all my chosen fans (including those I replace the stock ones with), and that the case's fan controller and buttons must be useless to me?

I've started looking at fan controllers.
Would it be a bad idea to (and can one?) use some kind of adapter to connect more than one fan to the same connection on a fan controller?

On 10/11/2020 at 3:57 PM, coyote said:

I know nothing about fan control, and googling Guides/Tutorials didn't help much, so please help me.

I'm considering replacing all the stock fans and populating all fan positions with either fans, or an AIO (probably on the top; I know the AIO will come with it's own control solution).  
If not, will other 200mm options fit?  (A dozen years ago I had fit issues when trying to replace a stock 200mm fan on a TT case.)

The manual says 
"Fan speed and light controller are only compatible with built in 200mm LED fans. To avoid on damaging the circuit board, please do not connect it with other fans."
Does this mean that I'll be using a separate fan-controller to control all my chosen fans (including those I replace the stock ones with), and that the case's fan controller and buttons must be useless to me?

Would it be a bad idea to (and can one?) use some kind of adapter to connect more than one fan to the same connection on a fan controller?

Bump, please?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 3:57 PM, coyote said:

If not, will other 200mm options fit?

I'd like the share my answer to my (and others') question of whether a Noctua 200mm fan will fit in the TT Core V71.  (Ditto a 200mm BitFenix BFF-LPRO-23030B-RP I already had.)

Note than I only looked at this question WRT the front fans (sorry, I plan to put a radiator in the top).

For neither alternate 200mm fan is thickness an issue; while I'm not sure you can tell from the photos, I think both are exactly the same thickness as the stock TT 200mm fans.  This is important because the mesh filter is right up against the fans.

And mounting holes are not an issue for either alternative fan either; one of the sets of holes for each alternative fan matched the case holes.

However, the stock TT fan width is perfectly minimal to fit the case, and both alternative fans are wider, and would thus need to be modified to fit.

The Noctua fan's inner edge hole is all one would need; to fit inside the front panel attachments the rest of the four edge extensions would need to be cut off.  The plastic is hard and I think resilient.  

The BitFenix fan is nearly circled by holes; nearly all of them would need to be cut off the fan.  The plastic is hard but also I think brittle.

To complicate matters further, there's the manual warning about using other fans burning out the controller.  (Furthermore, when I owned a similar TT case a dozen years ago with only one front 200mm fan, I vaguely recall something I did wrong connecting it burned out the fan; I think I may have figured that out and got an alternate  replacement working.)

With all that, I don't think I'm going to deal with modifying alternative 200mm fans to fit the case in the short term.

The pictured Noctua is a Noctua NF-A20 PWM chromax.black.swap

NoctuaTop.jpg

NoctuaSide.jpg

BitFenixTop.jpg

BitFenixSide.jpg

BothTop.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 6:57 PM, coyote said:

The manual says 

oops, nevermind!

• 3 weeks later...

In case I'm not the only one who wondered if the Core V71 would accommodate three 3-HDD cages, I'm excited to report it does!

To do so of course I needed to get a third 3-HDD cage to swap with the top 2-HDD cage. 

Then it was simple and easy:

I removed the bracket for the lower optical drive bay (it was held on securely by only 4 easily accessible screws).

Then I slid the third 3-HDD cage into place.  Only the lower (not the upper) pair of thumbscrews attaching the top 3-HDD cage  fit the holes, but I'm thrilled to report that since it is also on rails, it is (like the other HDD cages) absolutely rigid, it doesn't move at all.

So now, exactly as I had hoped, I have traded my bottom optical bay for a ninth HDD bay!

It looks like I have also made it so that a 360mm radiator wouldn't fit on the top of the case (though a 280mm one will still easily fit).

TTCoreV71-9HDDTrays.jpg

TTCoreV71-9HDDTrayLeftovers.jpg

Has anyone installed a radiator in the Core V71's removable top section?

I know that the manual shows a radiator at top of the main steel section of the case.  

I'll be installing a radiator in one of these top positions.  Either way I think I'll be limited to a 280mm one because I'll have an ODD in the removable section and--as noted above--I've added a ninth HDD tray.

I'm thinking of a 280mm NZXT Kraken X63.

It seems like one might fit in the removable section if the hoses are positioned conveniently (which I'm hopeful they are if an X62 photo I found is relevant, but I can't tell from NZXT's X63 pictures).

Has anyone tested whether if a radiator is at the top of the steel section, it's thermally beneficial/detrimental to also have fans above it in the removable top section?

49 minutes ago, coyote said:

Has anyone installed a radiator in the Core V71's removable top section?

I'm thinking of a 280mm NZXT Kraken X63.

It seems like one might fit in the removable section if the hoses are positioned conveniently (which I'm hopeful they are if an X62 photo I found is relevant, but I can't tell from NZXT's X63 pictures).

Has anyone tested whether if a radiator is at the top of the steel section, it's thermally beneficial/detrimental to also have fans above it in the removable top section?

I have an TT AIO 360 in the top section but be aware this device is installed inside the case (hanging install) and not on top of the steel frame. Depending on your summer room temperatures the 280 might be nuf even the 2 fan version will be noisier than a 360 AIO.

No need to put additional fans on top .. just make sure there is nuf air feed throughout the case

Thank you very much for your reply, View71!

I think I'll be OK with the 280mm; I don't plan on overclocking my 5950x, and when it gets hot here near San Francisco I just turn off the PCs anyway because no one here has ac.

On a tangent, while I'd prefer a 420mm:
While a 360mm has 10% more surface area (4,320sq-cm vs. 3,920sq-cm) that a 280mm, in the tests I've seen they're within margin of error, which I saw attributed to the larger fan size being more efficient.

1 hour ago, coyote said:

On a tangent, while I'd prefer a 420mm:
While a 360mm has 10% more surface area (4,320sq-cm vs. 3,920sq-cm) that a 280mm, in the tests I've seen they're within margin of error, which I saw attributed to the larger fan size being more efficient.

Yes, 10 % more surface but 1 more fan to cool the 360 radiator (under load) hence less spin speed required

Frisco is not that hot like here in Brisbane Australia where summer (room) temps can climb to ~40 Celsius (without aircon)

hence a 360 (3 fans!) would be fully sufficient for your location radiator fans never to be heard even under load.

That's interesting, View71.  The testing I saw that showed no advantage was 'noise-normalized'.  Maybe you're right that the extra fan/motor on a 360mm will deliver higher maximum cooling/noise.  Thankfully I don't think I need either.

Though I am looking forward to seeing how Ice Giant's future thermosiphon maximized for AM4 compared, though.  While I like that AIOs don't block RAM slots, the small chance of leaks makes me nervous.

6 hours ago, coyote said:

That's interesting, View71.  The testing I saw that showed no advantage was 'noise-normalized'.  Maybe you're right that the extra fan/motor on a 360mm will deliver higher maximum cooling/noise.  Thankfully I don't think I need either.

Though I am looking forward to seeing how Ice Giant's future thermosiphon maximized for AM4 compared, though.  While I like that AIOs don't block RAM slots, the small chance of leaks makes me nervous.

Yep, I had the same concern when installing my first TT360 AIO but so far never saw any leakage even after 2 years of operation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm now a proud owner of this case. I'm having an issue in not knowing how to connect that two pin female molex to my PSU. This is the connector that powers all three of the 200mm fans. I'm sure this has been answered but I'm unable to find it. Thank you for your tips on this issue.

Rick

20 minutes ago, coyote said:

What kind of fan mounts will work to attach fans on the inside-bottom of the case?  Are those ventilation holes too big to work with rubber fan mounts?  (I plan to add a couple 120mm fans down there.)

if you use TT (led) fans rubber footers/mounts are provided hence any fitting wood/machine flat head screw, from your hardware market, will do nicely

Because of Covid, I'm not free to visit a hardware store (man, that makes nearly everything more difficult).

And at first I'm using some 120mm fans I have on hand for which I don't have any mounts yet.  So I guess I'll grab some rubber mounts and hope they work; and if they don't, I guess maybe I can find some washers on Amazon to enable the rubber mounts to work in the nice large ventilation holes..

• 2 weeks later...

First my question:  How do I (temporarily) remove the Core V71's front (bottom) feet?

I ask in order to install the bottom (120mm) fans, which has been a frustrating project.

The first things I tried (in part to avoid having to deal with removing the feet) were rubber fan mounts.

First, I  tried
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0749BRLXW/

RubberFanMounts2021-01-16.thumb.jpeg.6cca2e627622c387de7a7e644b750580.jpeg

but their base turned out to be too thick to not warp the air filter.  So next I tried
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B003JBOBOI/
(because it's got a very thin plastic screw that can be outside the case all by itself so it won't warp the air filter)
but as you can see

Lamptron.jpeg.2a2cb513d317c257320daba64235d7bb.jpeg

that's going to leave big gap (5 mm!) all around the fan (so the fan wouldn't bother to pull as much air through the filter).  But other than that (lol) they worked.

So I decided to use standard case fan screws
https://amazon.com/GCA-Computer-Cooling-Mount-Screws/dp/B083NTT1KN/
which look like this:

CaseFanScrews2020-01-16.thumb.jpeg.47d221145dcd07b902d37712aa79fa23.jpeg

(and the case does come with enough--four--to mount one of the two fans)

However, being screws, one needs to be able to use a screwdriver on them, and under the case (for the front-most row of holes) in the way of one's screwdriver are the case's plastic front feet, as can be seen here:

Cove71-bottomFanMounts.thumb.jpg.678ad8cfeacd199bd1a1fd05dec4d56f.jpg

And the only attachments that seem owner-adjustable are these plastic clips:

CoreV71-FeetClip.thumb.jpg.890133d33e75e26d353adb13fcebcfa1.jpg

(there's another one that looks like this, and I would need to remove the HDD cage mounts to get at it)

I've tried pushing this plastic clip with a great deal of force, but it hasn't budged the slightest bit.  

I'm rather angry with the Core 71 now.  These bottom fan positions were a deciding factor in my purchase.

On a positive note, the big ventilation holes are just the right size for PC case screws (though a bit too small for the first rubber fan mounts I tried).